Whole Leaf Tobacco

Black Sea Samsun vs bursa

Tobaccomy

Hi guys, I’m really wondering... have read almost all the posts here about this and am wondering which oriental tobacco is best for cigs bursa or Black Sea Samsun ... I’m the aroma and want the nic as well ;) and to be smoked alone not mixed..

Keep in mind these are the only two viable options for me as not all websites ship to my place.. or you guys can just let me know other varieties that are nice I’ll try check and see if there are sites that selll those seeds.. who knows

Leftynick

Try this site. It is owned by member here, skychaser. He did ship to Malaysia. northwoodseeds.com
As for oriental, the one that I have grown is Samsun. It is really good. Smooth and quite sweet with mild spice. The other one I tasted is Xanthy that was given to me from Tutu. Is is slightly woody, strong in nicotine, quite aromatic.

Tobaccomy

Hi guys, I’m really wondering... have read almost all the posts here about this and am wondering which oriental tobacco is best for cigs bursa or Black Sea Samsun ... I’m the aroma and want the nic as well ;) and to be smoked alone not mixed..

Keep in mind these are the only two viable options for me as not all websites ship to my place.. or you guys can just let me know other varieties that are nice I’ll try check and see if there are sites that selll those seeds.. who knows
Also shirazi ya guys , is it useable without blending for cigs ?
I heard the nic and aroma is great

Leftynick

Nice I’ll try that site ! How is Samsun ? Is it strong in nic ?
Samsun is low in nic. In fact that is the point of oriental tobacco. It is low nic high in flavor, condiment tobacco. Grown more closely to each other, not cutting the flower off, smaller leaves.

Tobaccomy

Ouh.. so like for cigs it’s used as wel right ? Or mainly pipe ? Any idea about shirazi ? It’s oriental too right ? So we plant close and no removing flower ?

Leftynick

Yes, it is used in cigarette. Also pipe blend. I only used pipe to eliminate rolling my own cig. Plus, pipe make much better flavor, in my opinion. I dont know much about shirazi, never had them.
Some people even blend more than one kind of oriental in blending. If you want to find the right kind, it might take years to find. People palate is different, as well as your grow will not taste the same with other people grow. My advise, pick 1 of each variety to grow, bright leaf, burley and oriental then try it yourself. If it is good, grow again next year. If it is not, find another seed.
I know it is hard once the grow bug hit you, with all different kind of seed being presented. My best grow currently in my experience is, Samsun oriental, TN90 burley, Cherry Red bright leaf, and Little Dutch cigar variety. TN90 and Cherry Red have a really good yield. You can get more tobacco per plant if you grow it well, as well as good flavor. Samsun is easiest to grow, not easily infected with virus, but small yield. Being oriental you plant it closer so you can make up the yield by planting more. You can also grow them in bucket if space is a concern.
If you still curios, hey, just buy more seeds and plant more. It is also an option. Being in a tropical country means we can grow all year round, you can spread it into 2 growing season a year.

Leftynick

Ouh yeah forgot to mention, I also like Samsun for its taste. In my experience,it remind me of Peter Stuyvesant cigarette when smoked alone. So that is why I loved it so much.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have grown Shirazi. It grew larger leaf than most Orientals. I found it somewhat harsh.

Traditional spacing for Turkish varieties is about 15 cm between plants, minimal watering and minimal fertilization. Plants are not topped. This approach yields 1 meter plants with smaller leaves, lower nicotine and a more floral quality.

I have also grown Orientals at much wider spacing, like 70 cm between plants, full watering and generous fertilization. And I've also topped them. Using this latter approach, Samsun grew to two meters, with quite large leaves and robust nicotine levels. Xanthi and Smyrna grew even taller, with leaves double the length of those grown at close spacing.

There is nothing inherently "better" or "worse" about either approach to growing Orientals. But close spacing produces leaf closer to what the international tobacco traders expect from Orientals, and brings growers the higher price.

My preference is closer spacing, not topping, smaller leaves. This produces the most distinctively Turkish aromas. I stalk-harvest them, and sun-cure the whole stalks. One of my favorite Orientals is Prilep 66-9/7, which has a very high yield of richly flavorful leaves.

Bob

Tobaccomy

oh so
I have grown Shirazi. It grew larger leaf than most Orientals. I found it somewhat harsh.

Traditional spacing for Turkish varieties is about 15 cm between plants, minimal watering and minimal fertilization. Plants are not topped. This approach yields 1 meter plants with smaller leaves, lower nicotine and a more floral quality.

I have also grown Orientals at much wider spacing, like 70 cm between plants, full watering and generous fertilization. And I've also topped them. Using this latter approach, Samsun grew to two meters, with quite large leaves and robust nicotine levels. Xanthi and Smyrna grew even taller, with leaves double the length of those grown at close spacing.

There is nothing inherently "better" or "worse" about either approach to growing Orientals. But close spacing produces leaf closer to what the international tobacco traders expect from Orientals, and brings growers the higher price.

My preference is closer spacing, not topping, smaller leaves. This produces the most distinctively Turkish aromas. I stalk-harvest them, and sun-cure the whole stalks. One of my favorite Orientals is Prilep 66-9/7, which has a very high yield of richly flavorful leaves.

Bob
thanks for all this have been really wondering about the spacing from reading this forum, some say far apart some say close.. ill stick with close for real aroma.. have you tried bursa maybe ? any comparison to prilep 66 ? i read prilep has like all of what i need flavour and nic 2.3 % if not irrigated.. so i guess ill go with that.. but how about bursa ? just wondering

Tobaccomy

Yes, it is used in cigarette. Also pipe blend. I only used pipe to eliminate rolling my own cig. Plus, pipe make much better flavor, in my opinion. I dont know much about shirazi, never had them.
Some people even blend more than one kind of oriental in blending. If you want to find the right kind, it might take years to find. People palate is different, as well as your grow will not taste the same with other people grow. My advise, pick 1 of each variety to grow, bright leaf, burley and oriental then try it yourself. If it is good, grow again next year. If it is not, find another seed.
I know it is hard once the grow bug hit you, with all different kind of seed being presented. My best grow currently in my experience is, Samsun oriental, TN90 burley, Cherry Red bright leaf, and Little Dutch cigar variety. TN90 and Cherry Red have a really good yield. You can get more tobacco per plant if you grow it well, as well as good flavor. Samsun is easiest to grow, not easily infected with virus, but small yield. Being oriental you plant it closer so you can make up the yield by planting more. You can also grow them in bucket if space is a concern.
If you still curios, hey, just buy more seeds and plant more. It is also an option. Being in a tropical country means we can grow all year round, you can spread it into 2 growing season a year.
huhu ya tropical country, but raining season cant really do much...since too much irrigation.. people in sabah tho plant on hillslopes during rain season, so i guess not too bad.. best maybe april may june dry season for oriental.. im going to try do that grow all.. bag the seed to maintain the purity, i plant on really crappy soil now, thats all i have tanah terbiar

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
One of my favorite Orientals is Prilep 66-9/7, which has a very high yield of richly flavorful leaves.
Grow it. Decide how you like it. I have sun-cured it on the stalk, then kilned it. I have primed individual green leaves and flue-cured them. The latter were described by a forum member who sampled it as "tobacco candy".

Bob

Tobaccomy

alrighty then... ill stick with prilep.. as long as it has that turkish flavour im good... so you harvest them like in a chart in the forum...when its green but not dark green or ripe ya ? and ill probbaly just string them up the traditional way

MAB

Hi Tobaccomy, have you read how many different opinions? Not all strains work well for each of us.

For example, I have cultivated Samsun for two seasons and it has not been good (without any flavor) instead the Bursa in my garden is wonderful! Very aromatic and very productive! I have cultivated the Bursa even with large spacing of enough water and if it were not that the root system is small and the plant falls, it would be my favorite tobacco to grow!

Furthermore, traditionally cultivated Turks burn badly so they are mixed with other tobaccos, like Virginia, which burn well.