Whole Leaf Tobacco

Black Sea Samsun vs bursa

Tobaccomy

Hi Tobaccomy, have you read how many different opinions? Not all strains work well for each of us.

For example, I have cultivated Samsun for two seasons and it has not been good (without any flavor) instead the Bursa in my garden is wonderful! Very aromatic and very productive! I have cultivated the Bursa even with large spacing of enough water and if it were not that the root system is small and the plant falls, it would be my favorite tobacco to grow!

Furthermore, traditionally cultivated Turks burn badly so they are mixed with other tobaccos, like Virginia, which burn well.
oh ok.. i actually was thinking of planting turkish tobacco to be used alone, but since you said its harsh then i guess not... i remember going to turkey before and buying some tobacco from the market, forgot how it tasted but im guessing it was quite perfumy.. wanted to get that back

TigerTom

oh ok.. i actually was thinking of planting turkish tobacco to be used alone, but since you said its harsh then i guess not... i remember going to turkey before and buying some tobacco from the market, forgot how it tasted but im guessing it was quite perfumy.. wanted to get that back
I gave my boss, who is from the Middle East, some shredded WLT Stacked Basma. He said it was so smooth that when he smoked it he only got the light delicate flavor, no harshness or anything even when inhaled.

So I think it's possible to get a good, smooth oriental for smoking straight.

ChinaVoodoo

Most folks find smoking any tobacco without blending to be anything ranging from boring to harsh. This is why we blend.

I've smoked tobacco which I purchased in Turkey. I bought a flake pipe tobacco that was reasonably ok. I bought some bulk cigarette tobacco on the street that was ok. They were blends though and surely not straight Turkish They were mostly bright/VA tobaccos which were either flue cured or sun cured.

The oriental tobaccos from WLT which I've had are all excellent and far better than what I bought in Turkey. That said, I still wouldn't necessarily smoke them straight.

MAB

No, I have not written that it is "harsh", but that if it is traditionally cultivated it burns badly (I mean that the cigarette goes out very often).

Then, it is very likely that the taste / flavor / fragrance vanishes after a day or two because our nose or taste buds get used to it quickly and you won't have that wonderful impact like in the first cigarettes smoked.
I thought it was for tobacco but then I read this concept from a "Blender Master" on a Pipe magazine.

ChinaVoodoo

My Bursa and Samsun both burned great. My Prilep and Izmir from WLT also burned well.

My Canik, on the other hand was fire retardant so I had a fiber expert create a thread out of it, and as well as a tailor to make me a pair of coveralls. I am now in the process of getting UL, ISO, and CSA approval for industrial garment applications.

MAB

LOL

My Samsun and Bursa, cultivated tight, burn only with a bit of Virginia. But my second year Bursa, which I cultivated almost like a Virginia burns very well.

This year, the tight cultivated Prilep burns very well! but it is Macedonian, not Turkish :)

Tobaccomy

LOL

My Samsun and Bursa, cultivated tight, burn only with a bit of Virginia. But my second year Bursa, which I cultivated almost like a Virginia burns very well.

This year, the tight cultivated Prilep burns very well! but it is Macedonian, not Turkish :)
prilep smoked alone or ? and was it harsh ? fragrant? recommended for smoking alone ? how was the nic ?

ChinaVoodoo

LOL

Was the fertilizer and water also changed, or just the spacing?