Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Blend Your Own Pipe Tobacco - Download the FREE Color Book

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As an aside, I've been a Microsoft fanboy ever since they shoved the truly innovative and beautifully functional Lotus Ami-Pro into oblivion, in the mid 1990s. I have Microsoft certifications coming out my ears. But a few years ago, when I foolishly tried a "free" MS online Word, it nuked my genuine and very expensive MS Office Suite by replacing critical dlls. I decided then to say goodbye. So I started using Libre Office. I'm mostly delighted with it. Up to a point.

Bob

Scotmix

Being Canadian I am tired of crushing taxes, disappearing favourite tobaccos and the ever increasing difficulty finding blends anywhere. If it was not for a few very supportive US retailers we'd be shut out all together here. Frankly it does not look good for online retail anymore in the near future. Our last years first attempt at a tobacco crop on our property wasn't very successful but we are back at it again this year bigger and better having started seedlings a month ago. I do have an attempt ongoing from what I did harvest last year with Perique that's been sitting 6 months so I look forward to your book sir as I'll have a smoker built in the near future to add a latakia style to our inventory. I just ordered your publication online after a friend mentioned it. Thank you for the effort as we certainly appreciate it!

jimbob

Thee single most helpful thing I read on the subject, should be titled the tobacco bible, thank you for making this available

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you may know, I'll be doing a road trip with my brother and my grandson in June. My grandson will serve as "navigator". I bought a large edition Rand McNally road atlas for him to use. I decided to also purchase a brief book for him on the subject of how to read a roadmap. To my dismay, there was not a single book on the subject in print. Not one. And an entire generation of drivers knows only digital/GPS and online automatic directions. Having a real map or road atlas when the gadgets go south seems like a good idea.

While assembling some stuff on the subject to print out for him, I crossed a threshold of enthusiasm. So I just wrote a book: How to Read a US Roadmap. It's only a humble 52 pages, but is in full color, with scores of map snippets and other illustrations, as well as discussions of symbols, scales, distances, driving time, etc. I'm in the process of obtaining permission from Rand McNally, Delorme, and a few other sources of images, so it's not available for sale. But I've just completed publishing a "draft" version of it as a paperback.

HowToRead_cover_thumbnail.jpg

Bottom line: I'm certifiably crazy. I just wrote and published a book for an audience of one person--my grandson. I'll print a few copies of it. It's a cute little thing: 6"x 9". If I ever sort out the image permissions, then I may go ahead and put it on the market for the general public.

Bob

GreenDragon

Yes, but I bet he will always remember the effort you put into it and will be a cherished, lifelong memory of you for him. (y)(y)(y)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I bet he will always remember the effort you put into it
Appreciation of a parent or grandparent begins at about age 35 or 40. For kids, everything is just assumed to naturally be the way they experience it. So 20+ years from now, he'll look back, and think, "Wow, that was really odd."

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If you do a Google search for "Bessemer, AL to Page, AZ" (Page is located at Boulder Dam on the Colorado River), the route it provides takes winding US Highways through Texas, and eventually reaches I-40 in New Mexico. But then it directs the unsuspecting driver to diagonally cross the entire Navajo Reservation to get to Page, AZ, on mostly back roads of questionable maintenance, no cities, little in the way of services, and perhaps not passable in a passenger vehicle after a rain, and certainly spotty cell coverage.

It makes me crazy. I want to shout, "Look at a real map!" Of course, the fastest, safest, and only reasonable route is to pick up I-40 at Memphis, and go straight to Flagstaff. Sometimes when I do the very same search, it does take I-40 most of the way, but then still cuts through the Reservation. Yikes! And we put our lives in the hands of these obviously confused algorithms. It's as though it looks at the GPS Lat and Long numbers of the origin and destination, then in real time finds the most direct route--as if you were a crow.

My eldest brother has 100% confidence in his mapping gadgets.

Bob

GreenDragon

Mixed up three blends a few days ago. Two from Bob’s excellent book: Basma Pastry Party and Flight Surgeon Deluxe. And a VaPer: two parts Va. Bright, 1 part Red Va., 1 part perique, and wrapped in 1/2 part dark air. Placed in my box press for two days and took two out to test. Pretty good, but I think I’ll let them press for a few more days.

ED7B2B83-064A-44DB-81BA-D87A26BECF64.jpeg

D92CDF7A-55E9-4A56-B2AC-786876261176.jpeg

Indianapiper

Blend Your Own Pipe Tobacco: 52 recipes with 52 color labels
written by your very own deluxestogie

BlendYourOwn_FRONTcover_final_400.jpg

front cover

BlendYourOwn_BACKcover_final_400.jpg

back cover

Download link below.

This new, 46 page, 8.5" X 11" full-color book is available for you to download for FREE from this page. As a convenience, it is also available to you as a perfect-bound, printed 8.5" X 11" paperback from Lulu.com, at a 50% discount. I've released it under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License, so you may copy, distribute and/or modify any of the content, under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), version 4.0 or later.

Whether you grow your own tobacco, purchase whole leaf, or purchase commercial blending ingredients, you can make truly great, all natural pipe tobacco blends.

What's in the book?
  • Tobaccos and Terminology
  • 52 Unique Blend Recipes
  • Eliminating Tongue Bite
  • Pressing Plug or Crumble Cake
  • How to Make Cavendish in Your Kitchen
  • How to Make Small-batch Perique
  • Shredding, Blending and Storage
  • 52 full-color pipe blend labels you can copy or cut out
  • 2 Bonus Blends with 2 color labels
Printed Product Details
ISBN: 9780976155966
Copyright: 2019 by Dreamsplice (Creative Commons CC-BY )
Edition: First Edition
Publisher: Dreamsplice
Published: January 1, 2019
Language: English
Pages: 46
Binding: Perfect-bound Paperback
Interior Ink: Full color
Weight: 0.56 lbs.
Dimensions: 8.5" wide x 11" tall

Garden20190112_4118_Bob_pipeBook_500.jpg

Though a relatively small number of pages, the pdf download is rather huge (157 MB), because of its large number of high-resolution images. (Printed images require a minimum of 4 or 5 times the resolution--300 dpi-- when compared to a Web image--72 dpi, in order to print without pixelation.)

Again, you are welcome to download it, post or share copies of if, copy and print the images, and feel guilt-free in doing so. [With 50% off, you may come out ahead by buying the printed book for, if nothing more, cutting out the printed blend labels from its 80# paper pages, rather than paying a copy shop to scan and print them.]

Download the FREE pdf version (157 MB)

[Download the FREE pdf version in Swedish translation (added JAN 2021)]

Purchase the printed 8.5" X 11" color paperback from Lulu.com at 50% OFF.

If you do purchase the printed copy, please assist other potential buyers (and do a favor for me) by going back to lulu.com after you have examined the book. (you can click the same link as above) Write a candid and honest review. I can take a lickin'.

Bob

Just got this downloaded to my computer. Looking through it now and can't wait to try it out! Thanks for all your hard work.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Thin leaf" is from the lower stalk of the plant, and is a flue-cured variety. As with different shipments of the same flue-cured varieties, you can use "thin leaf" as Virginia Lemon, Virginia Bright or other flue-cured variety, and fiddle with the balance against perique or burley or dark air-cured, if they are called for. "Thin leaf" can also make a lovely Cavendish.

Bob

Costard

"Thin leaf" is from the lower stalk of the plant, and is a flue-cured variety. As with different shipments of the same flue-cured varieties, you can use "thin leaf" as Virginia Lemon, Virginia Bright or other flue-cured variety, and fiddle with the balance against perique or burley or dark air-cured, if they are called for. "Thin leaf" can also make a lovely Cavendish.

Bob
Thank you, very helpful info - I'll make notes in my own copy of Blend Your Own Pipe Tobacco: 52 recipes with 52 color labels.