Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Bramleyjordan Grow Log 2021

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Hey me again :D I have now harvested all the leaves on my plants that I let go to flower. Am i right in thinking, the plant will now quickly die as my understanding no leaves = no photosynthesis? Still got about 100 seeds pods on each plants so wondering what I can expect now? Ta
No leaves = grow more in a hurry. The stalk of tobacco is green, so a minimal level of photosynthesis is continuing. If you cut the stalk off at the ground, the root will attempt to sprout again. Tobacco is a (sub-tropical) perennial, rather than an annual.

Bob

Bramleyjordan

Hey guys, my leaves are in the kiln now, seems to stay at 51c and 80-82% is this okay? I know humidity is a bit high but I cannot get it lower. I do have the open the kiln once a day to refill the slow cooker with water and while I do this, I rearrange the pile of leaves.
Thanks

Bramleyjordan

The max humidity doesn't matter, so long as you keep the temp above 122°F, and there is good air circulation (i.e. from a fan) that passes through the leaves.

Bob
Yep it's always around 122-124f
I have a fan next to slow cooker point upwards however, the leaves are piled (long story short, I had them in 4 bunches hanging with garden ties, when they got moist from humidity, one bunch dropped into the slow cooker :( ) so air isn't going through the leaves.
I will be cable tieing the bunches later today as tight as I can and will hang again

Bramleyjordan

Hey guys, I got inpatient and wanted to try some of my bacci :p.
I took a small bunch out of the kiln and shredded it... lesson learnt as it was still quite moist. Anyway, I managed to shred it all and made a rollup. It did stay lit through most of it but the drag was very hard and no 'hit' at back of throat... I'm guessing as the tobacco was still moist??
My question, at which case should the whole leaf be when shredding? Low case I'm guessing? And also, when it's shredded and being stored, do I keep this in an air tight jar to keep it at low case?
I will eventually be putting the tobacco into empty cigarette tubes.
Thanks

Oldfella

Little bit hasty with the taste test. As far as storage goes, keep it in low case and it will continue to age. I store mine in coffee tins and it just gets better and better tasting. Sorry first question last.
For shredding you need to have moist enough to handle. I only use water to bring into a manageable state.
Oldfella

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey guys, I got inpatient and wanted to try some of my bacci :p.
I took a small bunch out of the kiln and shredded it... lesson learnt as it was still quite moist. Anyway, I managed to shred it all and made a rollup. It did stay lit through most of it but the drag was very hard and no 'hit' at back of throat... I'm guessing as the tobacco was still moist??
My question, at which case should the whole leaf be when shredding? Low case I'm guessing? And also, when it's shredded and being stored, do I keep this in an air tight jar to keep it at low case?
I will eventually be putting the tobacco into empty cigarette tubes.
Thanks
If the case is too low, you can see some leaf turning to powder as you shred. If the case is too high it will begin to gum up the combs in the shredder. Best to make a moisture adjustment at that point. You will develop a feel for the leaf after while. You will learn that thicker leaf requires an extra spritz and less for the thin leaf. Some of your bags will need another spritz and an extra day. In trying not to overshoot my mark I find that my dark air usually takes a little more moisture and time. I can tell a difference in uptake of moisture between Dons flue cure Virginia’s and my own sun cure Virginia’s. I start prepping my leaf about three days prior to shredding day.
For storage you need a tiny bit of moisture for the aging process to continue. If the leaf become crispy dry, the aging stops. Give it a spritz with water and aging resumes. Too much moisture and mold can develop so store in low case. Mine has aged to the point that I can just let it dry out and bring it back into case for shredding, but I also work in quite a bit of WLT leaf. I have poly nylon bags put back in boxes for storage in inventory and “working” bags that I work from for shredding that require a few spritzes two or three days before shredding day. I’ll give them a feel each day and give a spritz to those that need it until they are all ready at the same time. My blend is five different varieties for cigarettes, so five bags to work with. Flue cure, burley, Maryland, dark air, oriental, they all require different care. I can’t just give three spritzes and let it ride, each one is unique.

Last edited:

Bramleyjordan

If the case is too low, you can see some leaf turning to powder as you shred. If the case is too high it will begin to gum up the combs in the shredder. Best to make a moisture adjustment at that point. You will develop a feel for the leaf after while. You will learn that thicker leaf requires an extra spritz and less for the thin leaf. Some of your bags will need another spritz and an extra day. In trying not to overshoot my mark I find that my dark air usually takes a little more moisture and time. I can tell a difference in uptake of moisture between Dons flue cure Virginia’s and my own sun cure Virginia’s. I start prepping my leaf about three days prior to shredding day.
For storage you need a tiny bit of moisture for the aging process to continue. If the leaf become crispy dry, the aging stops. Give it a spritz with water and aging resumes. Too much moisture and mold can develop so store in low case. Mine has aged to the point that I can just let it dry out and bring it back into case for shredding, but I also work in quite a bit of WLT leaf. I have poly nylon bags put back in boxes for storage in inventory and “working” bags that I work from for shredding that require a few spritzes two or three days before shredding day. I’ll give them a feel each day and give a spritz to those that need it until they are all ready at the same time. My blend is five different varieties for cigarettes, so five bags to work with. Flue cure, burley, Maryland, dark air, oriental, they all require different care. I can’t just give three spritzes and let it ride, each one is unique.
Thank you for this reply and I've seen this info before which I understand how to store before shredding.
I mean if I have shredded up all leaves and put them into cigarette tubes, how do I store the cigarette tubes? I know in the shop they are plastic sealed to keep them nice for long periods. Is it worth shredding and filling as I need them or shredding the whole lot and putting all tobacco into the cigarette tubes?

Also, when I shredded up a bunch yesterday, the leaf just came out of kiln which was 80% humidity so they looked to be medium to high case hence the sticking to the shredder and not smoking properly. I left the tobacco in a glass jar with the lid open overnight. I tried it again today and smoked a lot better however was a little harsh on my throat... I understand this is most likely due to not kilning long enough so hopefully the rest will be good next month
Thanks

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you for this reply and I've seen this info before which I understand how to store before shredding.
I mean if I have shredded up all leaves and put them into cigarette tubes, how do I store the cigarette tubes? I know in the shop they are plastic sealed to keep them nice for long periods. Is it worth shredding and filling as I need them or shredding the whole lot and putting all tobacco into the cigarette tubes?

Also, when I shredded up a bunch yesterday, the leaf just came out of kiln which was 80% humidity so they looked to be medium to high case hence the sticking to the shredder and not smoking properly. I left the tobacco in a glass jar with the lid open overnight. I tried it again today and smoked a lot better however was a little harsh on my throat... I understand this is most likely due to not kilning long enough so hopefully the rest will be good next month
Thanks
That’s just a matter of preference and convenience. I don’t drive a whole lot so I just keep a pack in the truck and one on the four wheeler ATV. At home I just stuff them and then smoke them but I don’t smoke a whole lot. You develop a pretty fast routine and I can have one done in a few seconds. I have unintentionally cut back quite a bit after I quit the chemical cigarettes. I shred approximately a pound of leaf at a time and keep the blend in a 2.5 gal. freezer bag and work out of that until I need to shred some more. It occasionally needs a spritz but I keep my shredded leaf pretty dry, but not so dry that it powders. I stuff the cigarettes about 1/4” short, give the butt a couple of tamps on the table and twist the end so the tobacco doesn’t fall out.

Bramleyjordan

That’s just a matter of preference and convenience. I don’t drive a whole lot so I just keep a pack in the truck and one on the four wheeler ATV. At home I just stuff them and then smoke them but I don’t smoke a whole lot. You develop a pretty fast routine and I can have one done in a few seconds. I have unintentionally cut back quite a bit after I quit the chemical cigarettes. I shred approximately a pound of leaf at a time and keep the blend in a 2.5 gal. freezer bag and work out of that until I need to shred some more. It occasionally needs a spritz but I keep my shredded leaf pretty dry, but not so dry that it powders. I stuff the cigarettes about 1/4” short, give the butt a couple of tamps on the table and twist the end so the tobacco doesn’t fall out.
Thanks for sharing:)

Bramleyjordan

Hey all
My tobacco has been in the kiln for almost 4 weeks now, gone very brown and smell amazing! When they are done, should they still be stored in low case in a bag until I shred? Do they need a rest period before shredding and smoking? If so how should that be done?
I am possibly thinking of keeping them in my kiln with a bit of water in the crock pot so it stays low case.
I am planning on shredding it as and when I use it (maybe 30g at a time)

Alpine

Always store your tobacco almost bone dry, mold is always behind the corner.
Some tobacco strains are smokable right out of the kiln, but nearly all benefit from a week or so of “rest” and airing out after kilning. Just keep the leaves in medium-low case in an open plastic bag, or hung in hands, or keep them in an open cardboard box.
Bring the leaves to very low case before storing.

pier

Bramleyjordan

Always store your tobacco almost bone dry, mold is always behind the corner.
Some tobacco strains are smokable right out of the kiln, but nearly all benefit from a week or so of “rest” and airing out after kilning. Just keep the leaves in medium-low case in an open plastic bag, or hung in hands, or keep them in an open cardboard box.
Bring the leaves to very low case before storing.

pier
Thank you sir