Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Brutal Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Damn, it's hot here. Today will be another in a long string of 106 F with heat index in the 110-112 F range. It has been tough on the plants. Keeping proper moisture levels is tough.

Anybody tried mulching to retain moisture and cool the soil?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Damn, it's hot here. Today will be another in a long string of 106 F with heat index in the 110-112 F range. It has been tough on the plants. Keeping proper moisture levels is tough.

Yes. I mulch everything. It takes a lot of mulch to do so. If I remember right, mulching will lower soil temp something like 20 degrees and just as importantly, retain a lot of moisture.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Yes. I mulch everything. It takes a lot of mulch to do so. If I remember right, mulching will lower soil temp something like 20 degrees and just as importantly, retain a lot of moisture.

What do you use? I'm thinking straw.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I usually end up buying a dozen bales of straw. I start the year with grass clippings from mowing about a 1/2 acre field but that doesn't last long.

Daniel

Banned
Here in Nevada where the soil really gets baked I actually use piles of rocks as a mulch for my Rose Bushes. They love it and it does a great job at keeping the soil underneath cool as well as holding in the moisture. If my plants where not in buckets I would give it a try for tobacco as well. I am not talking gravel. Fist size stones or larger. I sort of found this method years ago by accident. I wanted a rose garden that looked like it was growing out of a pile of rocks. The roses grew better than I have ever seen in this area. I now use rocks around a lot of larger plants. and even have a rock pile or two that my daughter grows flowers in. more space and dirt in the flower piles but they still work better than just plain bare ground.

Hakamo0o

Two days ago it went up to 110F and one of the leaves dried up while still on the plant!!
Now I have a green dried leaf!!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
there has got to be some minuses to balance out your ability to grow year round lol :)

i bet hawaii would be perfect, i didnt grow when i lived there though:(

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
yeah it sounds awesome, i've always wanted to go to egypt too. talk about a place with history.. holy crap.. lucky to see stuff here older than 200 years, egypt tops that exponentially.

BaccaChew

It can look tacky, but I use lots of cardboard around my berry bushes. Stops the weeds cold, suppresses all weeds and keeps the soil moist. plus it is worm-friendly. Garter snakes like to hide under it too.

You could probably find some white cardboard in the recycle dumpster of a farm store (pallet slips) or outlet that sells stoves and frig's. Could always paint it white with cheep paint to reflect more light up to plant, keeping ground cooler.

Steve2md

I live in AZ. we regularly see 110 degree days during the summer. am I basically screwed, or should I plant in buckets and move the plants indoors during those days?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Just be sure they have plenty water and mulch them good. It'll only get crispy if it loses it's ability to transpire.

Status
Not open for further replies.