Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Building a seed bank for decades more of pipe smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
Hi everyone,

So as a newbie to these forums, I have observed two things; the overwhelming variety of choice and a tendency to be like a kid in a candy shop and go crazy by ordering everything.

I have been slowly reading through as many threads as I can before posting this list, and I have also ordered a variety of whole leaf to suffice as both blending components and the bulk of my weekly rotation until my homegrown crop is cured and aged.

I’m also conscious that different curing methods and processing (stoved, cavendish, perique style) can create many outcomes from a single plant.

Here is my proposed seed list. I would really appreciate some feedback/editing/culling and a heads up for anything else I might regret not adding.

cheers

bright:

Cherry Red
Frog Eye Orinoco
Virginia bright leaf
Costello
lemon bright
gold leaf 939

Dark:

stag horn
goose creek red

Burley:

Yellow Twist Bud
Harrow Velvet
tn90
tn 86

Oriental:

Prilep 66-9/7
Izmir (Was thinking Lebanese variety due to family heritage)

Cigar:
little Dutch
long red
coniticut broadleaf
Havana 322
corojo 99

Maryland 609

Something best suited for Perique or Semois Style

ps:
Here’s a pic of our harvest this year. Like most first times, it wasn’t the greatest, longest or biggest yield, but memorable nonetheless

E4715CFC-EBC4-43FB-84ED-3B2115C09E41.jpeg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For a broader Oriental selection, I would suggest adding a variety from the Samsun family: Bafra, Samsun, Trabzon. If you will be seriously saving seed, do purchase some appropriate material from which to make bud bags, for maintaining genetic purity.

Bob

Davo

For a broader Oriental selection, I would suggest adding a variety from the Samsun family: Bafra, Samsun, Trabzon. If you will be seriously saving seed, do purchase some appropriate material from which to make bud bags, for maintaining genetic purity.

Bob
Yes I have some bud bags already from other seed saving/collecting we do. Ok, that is a good call re orientals. I think I will get the Black Sea Samsun

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
My suggestions/comments: If you grow Brightleaf you will have to flu cure it or sun cure it if you want to maintain the sugar content. Yellow Twist Bud is a very mild Burley . If you are looking for a kick, this is not going to give you one. Little Dutch definitely has a distinct flavor. It is nothing at all like you would expect a cigar to be (as in.. a Cuban/South American). It was used as a filler in the USA back around 1880 or. Most of my cigars use it because I like the unique flavor, and I like smoking a cigar that is similar to one's in the US 150 years ago. It also makes a nice pipe tobacco blend with some Viginia Brightleaf and Oriental added.

You mention something for Perique or Semsois style. I make all of my Perique from Semois. It is very tasty. Additionally, Semois is an excellent pipe tobacco all by itself.

good Luck!

Davo

@Jitterbugdude any idea where I can grab semois seed? Or does it have a technical name I am over looking?

all of the leaf will most probably be used for pipe tobacco blends, little dutch was included for this purpose. The other cigar varieties were to just keep my options open in case I fancied making some sticks in the future and seed is no longer available. I was also thinking of using some burley as a wrapper leaf, and then slicing into coins.

Burley is my favourite type of tobacco to smoke, and I enjoy it in all its renditions - mild and nutty through to a kick in the pants. Can you recommend some other burley varieties?

Davo

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase deer tongue seeds?

Davo

The only source for Carphephorus odoratissimus seed that I found 6 years ago no longer offers it.

Bob
What about a source for leaf? I would probably only need 4-8oz and I would be set for a few lifetimes

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to search for it. Just be aware that Deer Tongue (sometimes spelled Deertongue, specifically Carphephorus odoratissimus) is not the same thing as Deer Tongue Grass. To complicate this, Carphephorus odoratissimus also goes by a half-dozen different Latin binomial names, which changed over the years.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Read this post for alternate names:
Bob

Oldfella

Bob
Try typing organza world NZ into Google. I can't remember the address but I got a heap from them and they work really good. I think they are in Hamilton. If I find their card I'll put the web address up for you. Good luck with your grow.
Cheers Oldfella

Davo

Try typing organza world NZ into Google. I can't remember the address but I got a heap from them and they work really good. I think they are in Hamilton. If I find their card I'll put the web address up for you. Good luck with your grow.
Cheers Oldfella
Cheers for the tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.