Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burn problems

Jaydub28

Hey guys. Just started rolling about a week ago. I’m about twenty deep right now. I seem to be having problems with my wrapper/ binder not wanting to burn. My sticks have been pretty loose since I havnt developed the feel with for a 52 ring guage. But ones I have thought to be bunch fairly well I have had the burn issues with. I am rehydrating the binder and wrapper but after the wrapper. I have been letting the bunch with binder sit for a few hours to even over night in the mold before I wrap them and then after I wrap them I have put them in a dehydrator for and hour trying to draw the moisture out. I have let the sit after dehydrating in the open air and according to the hygrometer they are around 65%. Is this in my rolling technique? Any help is appreciated

plantdude

Hey guys. Just started rolling about a week ago. I’m about twenty deep right now. I seem to be having problems with my wrapper/ binder not wanting to burn. My sticks have been pretty loose since I havnt developed the feel with for a 52 ring guage. But ones I have thought to be bunch fairly well I have had the burn issues with. I am rehydrating the binder and wrapper but after the wrapper. I have been letting the bunch with binder sit for a few hours to even over night in the mold before I wrap them and then after I wrap them I have put them in a dehydrator for and hour trying to draw the moisture out. I have let the sit after dehydrating in the open air and according to the hygrometer they are around 65%. Is this in my rolling technique? Any help is appreciated
Good video to watch if you haven't already. If you roll your filler using an entubado or acordian type method make sure not to twist it up or if blocks the air flow, same goes if your trying to fill in under filled spots. Other than that my guess is your baccy is probably just a little too damp. If that is the case (pun intended) the cigars may benefit from resting for a few more days. I'm a newbie myself and those have been a few of my mistakes so far.

Jaydub28

I kinda feel like the rolling is playing a big part in it. I have been stacking my leaves then basically rolling the bunch then binding

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
stacking my leaves then basically rolling the bunch then binding
First, begin with filler leaf in low case: can crack some, is noisy, but doesn't crumble when crushed. The simplest way to bunch the filler is to grasp leaves one at a time, compressing its full length in your hands, before adding the next leaf to it, and doing the same thing. If the filler is in low case, it is nearly impossible to over-compress it to the point that the draw is poor. Once you have your slowly hand-compressed bunch, then apply the binder and the wrapper.

If you roll up a stack of filler leaf, you essentially end up with countless layers of "binder", and that does not burn well.

Bob

EDIT: "If the filler is in low case, it is nearly impossible to over-compress it" All bets are off, if you then jam it into a mold.

plantdude

Bob has a short video I found very helpful:

Just the basics... Might try rolling a few by hand and doing without the mold until you find what works for you. I don't mind ugly cigars, provided they stay lit;)

If your binder and wrapper both feel very very thick and on the moist side you may be able to just forgo the binder and see if just the wrapper works. Also think about air tunnels through the cigar. You can test the draw while your makeing it. If the draw is ok and your filler stays lit then that may suggest the wrapper or binder is too moist (or on in too many layers). Just a few thoughts...

tullius

My sticks have been pretty loose since I havnt developed the feel with for a 52 ring guage. But ones I have thought to be bunch fairly well I have had the burn issues with.
If they're loose they're underfilled. I had the same problem with my 52 mold until I realized: those slots take a LOT of tobacco to fill right. Look at a commercial robusto.

I have been letting the bunch with binder sit for a few hours to even over night in the mold before I wrap them
This is good, keep doing this.

It feels dry I take it straight out the bag and it will crumble if not handled gently
It's too dry to roll with then. You should be able to manipulate filler without it crumbling. Most beginners are trying to roll with tobacco that is too dry. Put a couple of spritzes of distilled water in the bag, fold it closed and try again in a day. You are the humidifier of your leaf, all types. If the distributor shipped them all in case, they would probably all mold.

plantdude

If they're loose they're underfilled. I had the same problem with my 52 mold until I realized: those slots take a LOT of tobacco to fill right. Look at a commercial robusto.

This is good, keep doing this.

It's too dry to roll with then. You should be able to manipulate filler without it crumbling. Most beginners are trying to roll with tobacco that is too dry. Put a couple of spritzes of distilled water in the bag, fold it closed and try again in a day. You are the humidifier of your leaf, all types. If the distributor shipped them all in case, they would probably all mold.
If it's undepacked and not burning correct it's not going to burn the binder and wrapper enough and you get a hollowed out burnt cigar in the middle. Been there done that like @tullius is saying. Another check might be handrolling a mini cigar like @AZdave put me onto image.jpeg
In this case your surface area to volume ratio is higher for your binder and wrapper and will indicate if these might be out of case.

tullius

First, begin with filler leaf in low case: can crack some, is noisy, but doesn't crumble when crushed. The simplest way to bunch the filler is to grasp leaves one at a time, compressing its full length in your hands, before adding the next leaf to it, and doing the same thing. If the filler is in low case, it is nearly impossible to over-compress it to the point that the draw is poor. Once you have your slowly hand-compressed bunch, then apply the binder and the wrapper.

If you roll up a stack of filler leaf, you essentially end up with countless layers of "binder", and that does not burn well.

Bob

EDIT: "If the filler is in low case, it is nearly impossible to over-compress it" All bets are off, if you then jam it into a mold.

Nearly every part of this post is incorrect in my experience if you are rolling with a mold, and also if you are not.

Low case filler is too low a case for rolling cigars. If it's cracking, it's too low in case. Think about where the cigar factories today are, and adjust your case accordingly.

If you plug air channels with shattered or twisted debris, the cigar won't burn well.

The simplest and fastest way to bunch filler is book it.

This cigar was booked. How does the burn look?

IMG_20200812_221413953~2.jpg

plantdude

Oh man, @tullius and Bob are disagreeing again, it's like laying low and listening to the parents fight.:oops: I can't take this stress:cry: Think air channels throughout the cigar for a burn(y) both of them know what they are doing.

tullius

There is no fight here. Disagreement is necessary, and productive sometimes. Respect is ubiquitous.

tullius

after I wrap them I have put them in a dehydrator for and hour trying to draw the moisture out
don't do this: just let them gently rest for a week or two in a dry down box

gently is the key

You're doing a lot of things right already, and you'll get it

plantdude

There is no fight here. Disagreement is necessary, and productive sometimes. Respect is ubiquitous.
I know, just sitting back and laughing at the dialogue. Two different approaches from a slightly different angle to meet at the same end. It's a cigar and an art, a pleasure to enjoy if done properly. Don't scare off the new people ;)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Nearly every part of this post is incorrect in my experience if you are rolling with a mold, and also if you are not.
If the approach someone takes to accomplish a mutual goal is different from that of yours, it does not make theirs wrong. To say the approach someone takes to accomplish that mutual goal is wrong...is wrong.

Last edited:

Charly

If the approach someone takes to accomplish a mutual goal is different from that of yours, it does not make theirs wrong. To say the approach someone takes to accomplish that mutual goal is wrong...is wrong.
Completely agree with that.
Both methods (entubado or book) works. Each one comes with pros and cons.
But when I read the post from @tullius , I see NO kindness or respect in it...

[Edit : I was not sure if I did the right translation... excuse the poor french guy I am]

Last edited: