Whole Leaf Tobacco

C.Voodoo 2019 Grow Log de Incertitude

My 2019 grow is going to be unique because I am moving into a condo for probably just this season. Now, where the struggle is usually in weeding a list of twenty(ish) varieties I want to grow down to eight(ish), this year it is down to one or two(ish).

One(ish) is already spoken for. I have 25 seeds of a cross between Isleta Pueblo (N. rustica), and Samporis (N. tabacum). I might get no germination. Who knows. The sooner I try, the better.

If I only get a few to germinate, I can just grow them on my balcony. If a greater number germinate, I will be growing at a friend's place 40 minutes away. And since I'll have space, I might as well throw in 30 of something(s).

So I was thinking this year I would do some exploration of older Canadian varieties. If anyone here has experience with any of these, please speak up.

https://www.lasocietedesplantes.com/produits/tabac-grand-rouge-fort/
View attachment 26683
Grand Rouge Fort is a Canadian tobacco that is listed on few seed websites as well as on GRIN-CA. One source states that it is commonly blended with Obourg, a lighter Belgian tobacco. The name most likely means Big Strong Red. I'm just going to hazard a guess that it is a tobacco, and hope that it is a bright variety.

It does concern me that although it appears to be a fully legitimate seed supplier, this website doesn't offer photos of plants with bags on them. I will ask.

https://www.lasocietedesplantes.com/produits/tabac-parfum-ditalie/
View attachment 26684
Parfum d'Italie is also a tobacco. Of that, I am certain. It is also listed on GRIN-CA. It looks to me like a flue-cured tobacco variety, but who knows.

And then there's L'Assomption 201, a commercial dual purpose, pipe/cigar filler.
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?id=1325514

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting options. The photo on the lasocietedesplantes site for tabac grand rouge fort is difficult to interpret, since they were diligent in allowing every possible sucker to grow. The very bottom leaf is not well shown. While Cherry Red is a flue-cured variety, Long Red and PA Red are not.

Those Canadian seed sellers don't seem to be concerned with the sinful uses of their plant. But they do have nice flowers.

Bob

Charly

Good idea to try some new strains !

I wish you good luck with your (probably too small) crop ! and I hope your cross between Isleta Pueblo and Samporis will give you something interesting.

Well, well, well...
I've decided that I'm only going to try to grow the cross between Samporis and Isleta Pueblo.

I had counted 25 seeds when I harvested them, but there were so many little pieces of chaff that I ended up planting 36 (25 seeds, 9 pieces of chaff), one per pot.
DSC_0104~3.JPG

DSC_0107~2.JPG

DSC_0108~2.JPG

Let's see if any germinate!