Whole Leaf Tobacco

California Central Coast

corncobpiper

I am planning on purchasing the following seeds to grow in Ventura County, CA to smoke in my pipe.

Bursa, Yenidje, Basma, Izmir Ozbis, Smyrna, Prilep, Golden Burley

I enjoy Balkan blends the most. My favorites are Balkan Sasieni and John Cotton's Smyrna. I don't know if Golden Burley will mix well with them, but chose it due to the ease of curing. I plan on growing all of them in 5 gal buckets. Do you think these will fair well in a bucket in my location? Do you think I'd be better off getting a Virginia plant instead of Burley and air curing it without heat? Thanks!

ChinaVoodoo

I have seen success in 5gal buckets.

Others might disagree, but I recommend dropping one of yenidje, izmir, or prilep as they all are similar and perform the same basic function in a blend.

Then add a bright tobacco, but don't drop the burley. If you find your blends have too much tongue bite, you might wish you had a little burley to mix in.

The majority of tobacco in a balkan or English blend is usually a flue cured tobacco.
You might not be able to flue cure your bright tobacco, but if you're making a balkan blend, air cured bright tobacco will be more accurate. Also, you can use a sun curing method. That's something you should be considering for the oriental tobaccos as well.

corncobpiper

All depends on if you like burley or not. Can’t substitute it for Va. If you don’t want to go through the kilning process then no shame in buying some whole leaf from WLT to augment your homegrown crop.
Thanks for the reply. I do like Burley. Do you have to flue cure Virginia or can it be air cured with good results?

corncobpiper

I have seen success in 5gal buckets.

Others might disagree, but I recommend dropping one of yenidje, izmir, or prilep as they all are similar and perform the same basic function in a blend.

Then add a bright tobacco, but don't drop the burley. If you find your blends have too much tongue bite, you might wish you had a little burley to mix in.

The majority of tobacco in a balkan or English blend is usually a flue cured tobacco.
You might not be able to flue cure your bright tobacco, but if you're making a balkan blend, air cured bright tobacco will be more accurate. Also, you can use a sun curing method. That's something you should be considering for the oriental tobaccos as well.
Great, thanks! You answered my question on air curing Virginia. I'll buy some Virginia Bright and drop some of the others. Which if those three would you keep?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I agree. It's just a little bit more appropriate than burley for a Balkan blend.

I highly recommend sun curing as a compromise.
Totally agree. I personally was not thrilled with my air cured Virginia’s compared with those that went through the flue cure process, but I really like the sun cured Virginia’s, plus I can purchase flue cure from WLT and have an extra dimension of blending capabilities. Flue Cure, Sun Cured, or combination.

corncobpiper

Totally agree. I personally was not thrilled with my air cured Virginia’s compared with those that went through the flue cure process, but I really like the sun cured Virginia’s, plus I can purchase flue cure from WLT and have an extra dimension of blending capabilities. Flue Cure, Sun Cured, or combination.
Thanks! Do you think it's best just to sun cure all these tobacco's?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks! Do you think it's best just to sun cure all these tobacco's?
All except the burley. Burley is traditionally air cured and I’ve heard or read reports here on the forum that say Burley doesn’t respond well to sun curing. All the orientals are traditionally sun cured. Depending on how much you grow and how much space you have for curing, the burley can be whole stalk harvested to hang.

corncobpiper

All except the burley. Burley is traditionally air cured and I’ve heard or read reports here on the forum that say Burley doesn’t respond well to sun curing. All the orientals are traditionally sun cured. Depending on how much you grow and how much space you have for curing, the burley can be whole stalk harvested to hang.
Sounds good. I'm getting excited to start this new hobby!