Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cameroon wrappers

Indianapiper

Cameroon is Sumatra leaf grown in Cameroon. So it's relatively neutral in its flavors. I have found that any filler varieties I blend seem to go well with the Cameroon.

Bob
How is Cameroon/Sumatra wrappers neutral in flavor? I have read that on this forum in my searching a few times now and that does not seem to make sense to me. Of the Cameroons i have tried they all had a very similar and distinctive flavor profile. To the letter i always get the flavor of sweet baking spice with hints of vanilla.

Indianapiper

Sorry. I should have said, "To my nose..." Olfaction is a deeply individual thing.

Bob
Not really talking about smell though, I’m referring to the flavor. Smell wise I would agree it is neutral.

Edit! I’m on my phone at work and Ididn’t mean for that to sound confrontational. Taste and smell are indeed deeply individual. I’ll use my favorite cigar as an example of the taste/flavor I get from Cameroon. Fuente Hemingway has that sweet baking spice with hints of vanilla that I associate with the wrapper varieties.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Not really talking about smell though,
Taste provides our brains with information only about:
  • salty
  • sweet
  • sour
  • bitter
  • umami
Identifiable food "tastes" are registered by the olfactory nerve endings in the nose. This can be from the air or transferred through the soft palate.

That's the biology of it. Of course, in common parlance, we "taste" chocolate and kiwi, etc., but that's not the reality of it. More than likely, you have noticed that when you have a cold, and your nose is totally clogged, you can't "taste" foods.

Bob

Indianapiper

Taste provides our brains with information only about:
  • salty
  • sweet
  • sour
  • bitter
  • umami
Identifiable food "tastes" are registered by the olfactory nerve endings in the nose. This can be from the air or transferred through the soft palate.

That's the biology of it. Of course, in common parlance, we "taste" chocolate and kiwi, etc., but that's not the reality of it. More than likely, you have noticed that when you have a cold, and your nose is totally clogged, you can't "taste" foods.

Bob
But I don’t taste the foods in my nose I taste them on my tongue I don’t understand what you’re trying to say or how that works.

Radagast

Tongue has four basic tastes only, flavour resides in olfactory (nose). He's saying that's why you hold your nose to choke down things that taste gross.
Chewing food forces air through the nose and olfactory nerve endings, resulting in the experience of flavour. In other words, you do indeed taste with your nose, even though it doesn't seem that way.

Indianapiper

Tongue has four basic tastes only, flavour resides in olfactory (nose). He's saying that's why you hold your nose to choke down things that taste gross.
Chewing food forces air through the nose and olfactory nerve endings, resulting in the experience of flavour. In other words, you do indeed taste with your nose, even though it doesn't seem that way.
But when I taste something the flavor the sensation of flavor and the taste and flavor that go with it do not originate in my nose they originate on my tongue.

edit to add even when even retro healing is worthless to me it all it does is irritate my nose I get no flavor or anything from Rick from retro hailing at all this I don’t know house to explain it I must be a mutant because the origin of all flavor is in my mouth literally none of it starts in my nose I’ve never once tasted chocolate in my nose it’s always on my tongue that doesn’t make any sense according to all this all the links you guys are sending my way

Radagast

Try this on for size; the nerve endings, in both your tongue and nose, terminate in your brain. So if you prefer, you're decoding all that information, tasting, in the brain. Your perception of the location is incidental, ie, your brain is fooling you into thinking you taste with your tongue.

Indianapiper

Try this on for size; the nerve endings, in both your tongue and nose, terminate in your brain. So if you prefer, you're decoding all that information, tasting, in the brain. Your perception of the location is incidental, ie, your brain is fooling you into thinking you taste with your tongue.
Incidental seems like a minimization of an aspect of living that is vital and fundamental to all human existence

Radagast

That depends on what you mean by 'seems'. In the same way, it only seems as though you taste with your tongue.

Indianapiper

That depends on what you mean by 'seems'. In the same way, it only seems as though you taste with your tongue.
If we taste with our noses the actual flavors, then why does retro healing do nothing for me other than irritate my nose I get nothing from it even though according to the links and you guys it is supposed to provide me with most of my flavor?

Indianapiper

I am re-reading these now to try and better understand what you guys are saying. I appreciate your assistance so far I hope that I can learn exactly what is going on with tobacco. Thank you.

is it because flavor and taste perceptions are so individual that I rarely see anybody in the cigar or pipe forums describing flavor profiles like you would see with pipe tobacco reviews at tobaccoreviews.com?

Radagast

I am re-reading these now to try and better understand what you guys are saying. I appreciate your assistance so far I hope that I can learn exactly what is going on with tobacco. Thank you.

is it because flavor and taste perceptions are so individual that I rarely see anybody in the cigar or pipe forums describing flavor profiles like you would see with pipe tobacco reviews at tobaccoreviews.com?
I would think you're on the right track