Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cameroon

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
"Cameroon" wrapper is Deli Sumatra leaf grown in Cameroon. So, it's actually Cameroon Sumatra. Don has sent me a number of samples of Cameroon, that he chose not to purchase for WLT, likely because of its marginal quality as wrapper (slightly tattered, smallish leaves, etc.). (Bob will smoke anything!) As a home-grower, I am accustomed to making the best of the leaf that I have, and have found the Cameroon to be a nice addition.

I honestly find little difference in binding and wrapping qualities, as well as taste, between Cameroon and both Indonesian Sumatra and Besuki. The Sumatra "binder" on WLT is a steal, and nearly always makes a nice wrapper, even though graded as binder. Whether Cameroon, Besuki or Sumatra, their flavor recedes into the background of most filler blends.

On a historical note, Cameroon wrappers became the first maduro-wrapped cigars to gain popularity in the US, during the early 1970s. Back then, Cameroon meant maduro. Soon thereafter, maduro wrappers with richer flavor and aroma profiles became available (from Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico).

Other vendors seem to carry Cameroon, but I can't speak to their quality. (Somebody bought that marginal leaf.)

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
One other point I should make. Both Florida Sumatra as well as Ecuador Sumatra have their own distinctive aromas, and don't really fall into that basket of Cameroon, Sumatra, Besuki. While Florida Sumatra was developed from Indonesian Sumatra, I believe Ecuador Sumatra is different only because of the unique soil and unique climate of Ecuador fincas.

Bob

Easydoesit

I still want to try some legit Cameroon, I’ve heard due to problems there they don’t grow a lot in Cameroon anymore.

tullius

My two cents: I don't think Don's (@FmGrowit) sumatra tastes like the cameroon on fuente hemingways. It's good, beautiful leaf, very tasty, and wrapper grade really at a great price, just a different color and flavor.

If you don't have any wlt sumatra yet, do try some: it's great stuff, you'll certainly use it, and there's only way to find out how it tastes.

Maybe Don will weigh in.