Whole Leaf Tobacco

can i put some casing on american spirit tobacco ?

JoeCamel

I know the point of smoking american spirit tobacco is because it's additive free.However I got a 40g pouch and I want to add something to it to make it taste a bit like a factory made cigarette.I got the american spirit us grown pouch(dark blue) and i remember that somewhere it wad mentioned that the blend is made of virginia tobacco and some burley.I am not a big fan of virginia tobaccos, maybe because of the hay/grass taste/smell.I believe that most factory made cigarettes are mostly virginia tobaccos but I never smelled or tasted any hay/grass flavor.Is this usually masked by the additives ? I am planning on making a casing made of : cocoa, inverted sugar syrup or corn syrup, carob, licorice all mixed in propylene glycol and water.But before I ruin the tobacco, what might this casing achieve ?
And one final question, does oriental tobacco also have that hay/grassy taste and smell like virginia tobacco and what does it taste like smoked on its own ?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Yes, you can flavor your American Spirit tobacco’s. You will just have to play with it and give it the taste test. I would recommend trying small amounts and record your tests so you can duplicate it with larger amounts.

The only time I notice a hay/grass flavor is when the tobacco hasn’t aged sufficiently. This is usually remedied by kilning or more aging.

Orientals are weaker in nicotine and the flavor mostly associated with it would be floral although that’s not exactly right. There no good way for me to describe a flavor. I use it in my cigarettes at about 10% and couldn’t imagine doing without it in a blend. For me, Orientals are a must have but it depends on what you‘re used to. If you like Camels, you will want some in your blend. 15% would be tops for me, although some Turkish cigarettes are 100% Orientals.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Yes, you can flavor your American Spirit tobacco’s. You will just have to play with it and give it the taste test. I would recommend trying small amounts and record your tests so you can duplicate it with larger amounts.

The only time I notice a hay/grass flavor is when the tobacco hasn’t aged sufficiently. This is usually remedied by kilning or more aging.

Orientals are weaker in nicotine and the flavor mostly associated with it would be floral although that’s not exactly right. There no good way for me to describe a flavor. I use it in my cigarettes at about 10% and couldn’t imagine doing without it in a blend. For me, Orientals are a must have but it depends on what you‘re used to. If you like Camels, you will want some in your blend. 15% would be tops for me, although some Turkish cigarettes are 100% Orientals.
Does that mean that the hay flavor i get from the american spirit tobacco is because the virginia tobacco in the blend wasnt kilned enough to completely get rid of that hay flavor ? The company says they get their tobacco from local farmers which could be possible that those farmers dont kiln it enough to leave no hay taste at all.What i have noticed in other ryo brands is that there is zero hay taste but usually they are heavily cased.So now I have to find the specific casing ingredient that gets rid of that taste.

Edit: if i had a lifetime supply of camel non-filters I wouldn't need anything more from this world :D

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Does that mean that the hay flavor i get from the american spirit tobacco is because the virginia tobacco in the blend wasnt kilned enough to completely get rid of that hay flavor ? The company says they get their tobacco from local farmers which could be possible that those farmers dont kiln it enough to leave no hay taste at all.What i have noticed in other ryo brands is that there is zero hay taste but usually they are heavily cased.So now I have to find the specific casing ingredient that gets rid of that taste.

Edit: if i had a lifetime supply of camel non-filters I wouldn't need anything more from this world :D
I doubt it was kilned at all after the flue cure. The leaf I usually buy from Don at www.wholeleaftobacco.com has been aged for years prior to selling it. If Australia accepts shipments of whole leaf you could email Don and ask the crop year of each variety you are interested in. Leaf from Don is always ready to smoke. (that has been my personal experience)