Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canadian Pipe Smoker paying way less $3.04 OZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdly

I came to the forum not long ago under false pretense I can't grow tobacco right now, I wanted to lower my tobacco cost and big thanks to the forum I have.
We all know and complain how much tobacco costs in Canada a pouch of some cherry flavoured whatever is like $38 I think.
I like a lot of Latakia and you can’t buy anything like that in Canada even if you are independently wealthy and I am not.
I was smoking a bulk blend from the south that was the ticket, but with customs, shipping and the moisture in these blends it makes it still expensive.

I actually had no charges on the first order from customs so the price per OZ was $2.56
My second order included 3 lbs of Latakia and still I am at $3.88 / OZ

Canadian Import Tobacco Cost.jpg

ChinaVoodoo

Right on! I never worked it out.

I can buy bulk latakia locally for about $25-$28(?)/oz. Mind you, Edmonton is the pipe capital of Canada in my opinion, so I'm not surprised the rest of the country is latakia deficient.

stdly

Wow that's a lot I like Latakia but not that much.
When I was young every small town had a news and tobacco shop they sold inexpensive Brigham pipes and tobacco, there are non now.

I didn't mention the stem waste but still for us this is a very fair price to pay and more fun than putting on a face mask to buy $38 cherry tobacco.

Just to be real I bought 10.5 pounds and saved all the stems and misfit leaves and they weigh just over 3 pounds I thought that was petty good.
So the grand total for the 2 orders with stem removed including 4 pounds of Latakia and a pound of Perique is $4.03 / oz
We can only import 3 kg at a time so the shipping costs more but who cares.

You see the numbers this forum and WLT are going to help me retire more comfortable thanks.

ChinaVoodoo

You don't have to toss the stems if you shred the tobacco crosswise, instead of lengthwise. The only shredder I know of that does this is the antique Teck 1, but you can also do it by hand, usually cutting it with a knife while in the form of a plug. Just saying, if you wanted to save even more money.

stdly

I only have the hand shredder so cross cut isn't really an option only by knife I cut up the Latakia, Perique and Basama stems and will smoke them.
I think that's why I haven't thrown them away yet, the bag with all the stems mixed together smells really good I checked for mould because there where some air cured stems in there,. nothing.
Maybe I will make an offering to the N S E W in my fire pit out back in thanks.

stdly

I went through all the stems and leaves I separated originally and recovered a bunch of baccy ended up with 1.9 pounds of fire wood from the 10.5 pounds, way way better than I expected.
$3.79 an ounce with %70 Latakia and the pound of Perique.
Thanks to this forum and WLT I am saving big time.

stdly

On that note, possibly a social distancing thing, but I chose "deliver to door" for my package on the Canada Post Tracking page, and my package came to my door today after 3.5 weeks with zero duty.
Thanks that`s good to know.
My speadsheet is telling me I am smoking 2.5 Oz`s a week that`s $9.47 CAD a week, crazy cheap considering the taxes on tobacco in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.