Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Canik: @smallwanderings

smallwanderings

I chose Canik because I thought I would be limited to growing maybe three plants inside in my small apartment. But I have rented two 10'x15' plots in a community garden, so I have more room, but will grow only seven or eight plants as most of the space in the plots will be for vegetables.

And no, I have never grown tobacco before. I purchased the seed from Northwood seeds. One of the reasons I chose Canik is that I have visited Turkey five times, staying two times for three months, one time for two months, one time eight days, and one time three days. I stayed in Istanbul and visited Izmir and Kırıkkale.

It's a beautiful country with beautiful people and I miss it.canik.jpg

smallwanderings

You are very fortunate. All the garden plots for rent in my area forbid tobacco in any form.
I didn't ask if it's allowed or not, going on the principle that it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. I having a feeling that where my plots are the few rules they have are not very strictly enforced. Time will tell, in the meantime I'll enjoy doing it.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Most people in the US today do not recognize growing tobacco, unless it is spreading over a few acres, and looks like the huge leaves of burley or Maryland or seedleaf. Since Oriental varieties don't look the same, and since you are encouraged to allow them to blossom, you should be fine.

"What's that you're growing there?"
"Oh. That's Canik, from Turkey. The blossoms are really lovely."

Bob

smallwanderings

Most people in the US today do not recognize growing tobacco, unless it is spreading over a few acres, and looks like the huge leaves of burley or Maryland or seedleaf. Since Oriental varieties don't look the same, and since you are encouraged to allow them to blossom, you should be fine.

"What's that you're growing there?"
"Oh. That's Canik, from Turkey. The blossoms are really lovely."

Bob
Yes, that's what I figured as well.

smallwanderings

Also, I started much more Canik seed than I will use, if there is someone nearby that would like some they are more than welcome to it. But I don't think it will ship very well, being very small still. But anyone near Baltimore. Free, of course.View attachment 35732
Oops, I attached a picture of Feverfew which has similar primary leaves as the Canik, but the second set of leaves are quite different. The Canik picture -

IMG_20210328_075838.jpg

smallwanderings

IMG_20210507_185629.jpg
My Canik plants as of today, May 7. The three smaller cups on the right are extras from the first seeds I started. Most of the plants from that start were sunburnt, I think, when I had placed them outside, but I was away from home much longer than I planned. I also think the soil was not the best.
The other eight cups are from a second start. They have qickly caught up to the biggest one on the right - better soil and no sunburn.

smallwanderings

I saw this for the first time ever in 66 years, a ladybug emerging from its pupal stage.

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_084722_1.jpg
    IMG_20210507_084722_1.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 24

smallwanderings

canik 5.20.2021.jpg
Getting some afternoon sun on the fire escape, with one corn plant. The Canik seems to be a bit delicate so I don't put them out yet when the sun is more directly overhead. The last two days I took them to work with me; I'm screening in a friend's front porch. He has maple trees in the yard so the light was not as harsh at noon.

I have clipped them once, a week/week and a half ago. When I thinned them at that time those I took out had very small root systems and the stems were thin.

smallwanderings

What will you do with one corn plant?

Bob
I started more corn inside that I have transplanted to the garden plot. I will put this one with them soon; it got a late start. It is an experiment to see if I can get some to eat earlier than by waiting for the ground to be warm enough to direct sow in the garden.

smallwanderings

I've found that tobacco that is under a foot high can get whipped around fairly violently by the wind, and utterly drenched by heavy rain, and still hold up well--so long as the growing bed has decent drainage. Don't ask about hail.

Bob
Yea, the tobacco is standing up fine. The corn on the other hand is nearly prostrate but it wasn't growing well anyway.