Whole Leaf Tobacco

Can't decide on a bright leaf

Radagast

I want to get my seeds locked down for next season and I can't decide on a bright leaf. I'm considering cherry red because it sounds more suited to pipe smoking, Costello negro for the sweet and nutty description, although it seems to be a bit nicotine heavy, or Helena for its curing versatility and mildness. Any advice?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Of the twenty seven flue cure varieties I’ve grown, these are my three favorites.

My personal favorite is Reams 158 but I have to admit that a part of the reason is that I loved the way it looks and grows lol. Kind of like seeing Prilep grow and thinking wow that’s awesome, growing more next year, before you even smoke it. Reams 158 sun cured to a gorgeous yellow, orange, red until I kilned it and it turned brown. It was beautiful, I wish I had framed some. Wonderful smoke, too, by the way. I’ve used it in pipe and cigarettes.

Radagast

Of the twenty seven flue cure varieties I’ve grown, these are my three favorites.

My personal favorite is Reams 158 but I have to admit that a part of the reason is that I loved the way it looks and grows lol. Kind of like seeing Prilep grow and thinking wow that’s awesome, growing more next year, before you even smoke it. Reams 158 sun cured to a gorgeous yellow, orange, red until I kilned it and it turned brown. It was beautiful, I wish I had framed some. Wonderful smoke, too, by the way. I’ve used it in pipe and cigarettes.
I thought the same thing watching Prilep grow lol. Thank you for that description! Sun curing would be a terrific bonus too. A definite game changer there.

Alpine

I no longer grow bright leaf strains (I much prefer dark Va, goose creek red to be exact) but of the few bright leaf I grew in the past years, yellow Pryor has been the most uniform and heavy producing. It cured to a beautiful golden yellow and tasted good, but it’s a bit on the light side for my taste. I’ll try lizard tail Orinoco this next summer, it’s described as more flavorful.

pier

Radagast

I no longer grow bright leaf strains (I much prefer dark Va, goose creek red to be exact) but of the few bright leaf I grew in the past years, yellow Pryor has been the most uniform and heavy producing. It cured to a beautiful golden yellow and tasted good, but it’s a bit on the light side for my taste. I’ll try lizard tail Orinoco this next summer, it’s described as more flavorful.

pier
Y'know something, I am enjoying my goose creek red very much too now that I have some kilned. I even have a bunch that I flue cured I should get around to smoking and properly tasting, maybe I already have the solution to this problem since I will definitely be growing it again next year.