Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cavendish cigars experiment

Norrlander

I did a thing...
Living off-grid brings its share of challenges, especially up here in Northern Sweden. Not least of those is a lack of 'spare' electricity, making it very difficult for me to consider certain curing methods.
Now although my preference is for pipes, I was fascinated with the idea of making a few cigars to share with friends. So I hit upon the (crazy) idea of putting some leaves through the pressure-cooker Cavendish process, then carefully unrolling them, drying them down and then rolling them.
Pictures famously speak a thousand words each, so my essay on the experiment is as follows:
20200922_141607.jpg20200923_083650.jpg20200923_085858.jpg20200924_102200.jpg20200924_102400.jpg20200924_120553.jpg
1: Ribs removed, rolled loosely, ready to cook.
2: After cooking. Yup, looks like sh#t.
3: Semi-successful unrolling (next time will be better, learning all the time).
4: Wrapper wetted down.
5: Filler extra dried, binders selected.
6: Finished!

The result was a very mild, pleasant flavour but a little hard to draw (suspect the filler was a bit too 'lumpy', or not quite dry enough, or both).

Anyway, nobody hated them so I think at least one more attempt is in order!

Norrlander

How did you perform your curing ?
Simply made a roll of the leaves, popped it into the jar and loosely fitted the lid. Stood the jar on a trivet in shallow water inside the pressure cooker (along with two jars of moose meat) and cooked under pressure for an hour and a half.
More detailed exploration of the method is in the key forum threads

Norrlander

Do you have a lot of smaller jars or bigger ones to fit the rolls inside ?
I've only done that one roll, from which I got those 5 cigars. I'm growing so few plants at the moment I don't need to worry about being able to process a lot of leaves. In the future though, who knows?

By the way, thanks for the compliment about my English, but I should explain I was born in England and only moved here four years ago ;-)