Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chance tobago (sorta) encounter in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ifyougotem

On a recent shopping trip to The Big City (a modest-sized municipality an hour's drive from the tiny rural town where I currently reside) I passed a small doctor's office that looked to be a part of a residence. Liking the idea of a personalized medical facility, I approached to see if he'd take my ins., and found the place closed and locked. Went down the driveway to the street, and as I was walking away a young hippy-looking backpacker (w/ white-dude dreadlocks, colorful garb and a pleasant, leashed dog, etc.) happened to be passing on the sidewalk, and offered me a beer. It was around 11 a.m. and I happened to be carrying a just-purchased 1/2 rotisserie chicken from the local grocery store, still warm in bag. A beer, even of indeterminable temperature, sounded good, and the hippy/Rainbow Festival kid had a genuine, friendly vibe, so I accepted. He pulled out some kind of blackberry-infused disco stuff in a can, which I had to politely refuse, since I thought he meant, you know, beer beer. Asked if the kid smoked tobacco (affirmative), so I plunked-down right on the home/office lawn and offered several types of cased whole leaf (all high quality, from WLT), which were gratefully accepted, along w a brief how-to about rolling a log & shredding w a sharp knife. The kid went on his way, and I started to. After a few steps the doctor exited the bldg and caught up to me on the sidewalk. He said "Hey, it looked like you had a bunch of different kinds of tobacco, could I talk with you about that?" I said, "sure" rolled him a little long-fill cigarillo on the spot, and we smoked together right there on the lawn. He offered some packaged organic-labelled rolling tobacco from Mexico, then I made up a gift bag of the last of my whole leaf carry tobacco, and asked if he ever used snuff (showing my basic, raw home-made in it's snack bag.) He said "Wait here a minute", and returned w a U-shaped tube (actually more like a rounded-bottom V), carved with, I think, birds and Aztec figures and such. He pinched from the Ziploc bag, and divided it in half in the palm of his hand, then scooped one of the piles into one end of the V-tube. I asked if there was any tricky oral exhale/nasal inhale, and he said no, you just blow, which he proceeded to do (after inserting the loaded end quite far up). He withdrew the tube, reloaded, and repeated w the other nostril, commenting favorably on the tobacco and stating that the type he's used in Mexico is ground much finer in a mortar. I plan to purchase one next shopping trip. Left some snuff for later use, got a card (his business is cash only), and am invited to stop by next visit. So almost a chance tobago encounter, though not a "double-barrelled" one- coolness factor made up for by the carved glyphs and serendipitous nature of the meeting, though. Two very nice and gentlemanly tobacco users too. They're out there, folks (I suppose I mean, we're out there).

ChinaVoodoo

That is a great story about how tobacco brings people together. Thank you for sharing.

I enjoy moments like that. I carry rolling papers in my glovey because most of the folks who ask for change in Edmonton have a greater appreciation for tobacco than money, and having packets of papers gives me the opportunity to share my homegrown (and a moment in time) with them.

Ifyougotem

I will probably be able to post a pic next time I visit the good doc. It was really uplifting meeting two very congenial fellows from quite different backgrounds, both appreciative of straight quality bacca.

Status
Not open for further replies.