Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Change needed for leaves to yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanKelly

I got my Tennessee Burley growing fine 4.5 feet. I am growing indoors with about 12.5 hours of light on the plant day in day out. Is there something I need to do with the lighting to get the leaves to turn yellow so that they are ready to pick and start the curing process? Or do I just wait for it to happen naturally? Also as a Side question, with a 4.5 foot Tennessee burly plant growing, about how far am I away in weeks before it’s harvestable?

ChinaVoodoo

I haven’t had to pull off any flower like growth yet.
In that case, my estimate is at least a month. TN burley in the right conditions gets much larger than 4.5' tall. It sounds like you know what you're doing, (by the changing photo period question), so my estimation is you got another foot and a half to go.

Theoretically, you can get tobacco to yellow rather rapidly, artificially. A study I read, sorry no link, demonstrated that in total blackout, tobacco quickly shifts into senescence, (yellowing) This can be done with the entire plant, or with individual leaves. In your case, I'd still wait for it to happen naturally because no comment on quality was made in that study, and, why not? Patience will yield twice the tobacco.

CobGuy

With indoor grows, I've found that changing slowly to less light per day and warmer colors (Kelvin) helps this transfer.
It's just mimicking the suns natural change with the seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.