Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chillardbees Victory baccy grow of 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
Hello all my long time friends, did you miss me?
I’m not going to grow a great quantity of tobacco this year. I usually grow a blend for cigarettes full flavour. However I will be growing a pipe blend this year.
So, the question I have for all of you who have grown for pipe blend is if you grew 10 plants, what and how many of each would you grow. Name your type of tobacco plant, I likely have it in my 160 varieties.
I’m looking also to probably making a part of it into cavendish for part of the blend too (something to consider in your answers) but maybe also go with an English blend.
Another thing that might help your answering me is my preferred pipe tobacco is Captain black gold (yummy). Still working on that recipe too but any suggestions would be welcomed.

In other news, I missed growing last year and I really missed keeping a grow log. A lot of beekeeping these last few years with running too many hives have taken a great deal of my time on almost a 24/7 scale during the spring, summer and fall. But we are scaling back our numbers of hives to half the amount this summer so hopefully that’ll help with my sanity among other things.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see you again. Captain Black Gold is pretty much a straight honey Cavendish. I don't have a recipe for the casing.

I would suggest any burley, and any Virginia flue-cure variety, and make each of them into Cavendish. Without casing, you get a medium-strength, flavorful and smooth blend of the Cavendish at 50:50 ratio of Burley and Virginia.

Bob

chillardbee

Good to see you again. Captain Black Gold is pretty much a straight honey Cavendish. I don't have a recipe for the casing.

I would suggest any burley, and any Virginia flue-cure variety, and make each of them into Cavendish. Without casing, you get a medium-strength, flavorful and smooth blend of the Cavendish at 50:50 ratio of Burley and Virginia.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I knew I could count on you.

chillardbee

Dear friends,
As you can tell, I hadn’t posted anything in my grow blog this year.
Because... something wonderful has happened...
This year, I made a concerted effort with the bees and sold a good chunk of them off. We will rebuild, that’s not a problem as we still have all of our equipment. But it served 3 purposes.
1- to reduce expenses this year
2- to have fewer hives to move (we have 40 out of the original 180 hives)
3- to have the money for a down payment and moving expenses.
WE BOUGHT A NEW HOME!!!!
Located 7 miles south of 100 mile house in the Cariboo region of beautiful British Columbia. Altitude of 1232 meter. The growing seasons will be shorter but still doable for tobacco.
We have 10 acres but not the greatest soil unfortunately (quite rocky in fact) so we’ll have to make some raised beds and perhaps there will be some good places to plant.
On September 1st, we took possession. We had hired a moving company to move our house hold crap of which there was a lot. We rented 2 20 foot uhauls for the bee equipment and I made 5 trips just for the bees in my little Mazda pick up plus several other trips for odds and ends.
We got our first snow up here around 15th of October and I haven’t seen the dirt since. We’ve had a couple of -25° Celsius days already but the average has been around -10°.
What does the future hold for growing tobacco? I’m glad you asked. It’s going to be a small grow next year since there’s going to be a lot of prep for the beds. Besides tobacco, we want beds for actual produce also. However, the big rush of getting the equipment built up for the bees and a down for the property is over. A change in life style is coming my way which will allow time for the finer things in life.
As for the grow this year, I didn’t even start anything. In fact, I had reseeded the yard for grass. I did have a couple of volunteers shoot up at some point but Twas too late in the season even though I tried nurturing them.
Anyway, I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and accept my wishes for a happy new year.
I’m still in a state of shock and disbelief. I can’t believe we’re here. I will post pictures at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.