Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo 2020 Grow

Charly

Well, I don't know if I can call it a routine, I try to transplant them to small pots as soon as I can :D
I like to do this as soon as possible, when the roots are very small, it's easier to separate each plant.

You are not the only one who burn seedlings : this year (like previous years) I gave them too much sun light too soon and some of them are toasted, so I replace them when needed.
It takes time... so I do it as soon as I can (or I should say : when I find time).

If I had less strains per years, I would probably try so start the seeds directly in the small individual pots, but with 4 or more strains on each board, I am sure I would mix everything when dropping seeds...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When I transfer my germinated seedlings to 1020 tray inserts, they usually have 1 day old cotyledons. Since my wire shelves are exposed to direct sun for about half of each day, I start them off with a layer of Agribon AG-15 over the top (suspended by the label sticks or the dome). If those first two days after transplant are overcast, then I use a single layer of Agribon. If one or both of the days are sunny, then they get two layers. Usually, after the first few days, a single layer is sufficient. I leave the Agribon on until true leaves begin to touch it.

Although I use 4 trays for all my seedlings, I have only two transparent dome lids. So the first two lucky trays get the domes for the first four or so days, after which they no longer benefit from them. The other two trays, truly second class citizens, just have to tough it out. With adequate bottom watering, the only real difference I've seen between dome vs. no dome is the frequency of watering. I don't see any difference in the plants themselves. In the past, when I've left the domes on for more than a week, then mold and damping off becomes an issue.

Bob

Tutu

Unfortunately my own seeds from Sumba and from Timor-Leste do not germinate anymore.
I have also my doubt on the germination of the Kasturi Angsa and the Rajangan.
The varieties I did retain, which I am growing right now are Kasturi Jepun Pendek and Samporis.

Charly

Hello @Tutu ! Nice to hear from you.
I don't know if the Kasturi Angsa will wake up, but I might try to start Kasturi Jepun (don't know if it's the Pendek), so I could save new seeds (if it wakes up).

I regret not having saved seeds from the Kasturi Angsa I grew a few years back... I didn't save it because the plants were not very healthy (I had a lot of problems with PVY this year...)... but it would have been better than nothing...

Let's cross our fingers and make the "growing" dance, it might help ;)

desert_pioneer

When I transfer my germinated seedlings to 1020 tray inserts, they usually have 1 day old cotyledons.
Does that mean by the time the germinated seedlings have their first two tiny leaves (approximately), you move them to their "pots" for the last time until they are ready to be transplanted outside ?

(Had to search up what a cotelydon was)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Does that mean by the time the germinated seedlings have their first two tiny leaves (approximately), you move them to their "pots" for the last time until they are ready to be transplanted outside ?
Yes. See my grow logs.

On the subject of @Tutu seeds being no longer viable, I recall that I received seed for several varieties that I did not plant, but stored in my seed fridge. I'll do an excavation, and see what I find. I know I have the two Besuki variations, but I'm sure there were different varieties as well. If I locate some, I will germinate each variety, and produce some new seed. Indonesia's climate is great for growing Tobacco. It's terrible for long-term seed storage, if not stored continuously desiccated.

Bob

Last edited:

Tutu

And the Dominican climate is not much better at it...
Will do the same and germinate the majority of seeds I have saved to see if I can get anything going.
I remember I still had some luck with Rindi from Sumba about a year ago.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here are the varieties from @Tutu for which I have seed.

I'll do a germination trial of them. Any that are viable will be propagated. If you are one of the members who has attempted to grow these, but the seed has failed, PM me with the varieties you are interested in for next season. I'll also provide an ample supply of seed of any successful grow outs of these to @Tutu.

Bob

waikikigun

I began this thread on Sunday with the premise that I didn't know where I would be planting these tobacco plants.

Three weeks ago, a couple put in a bid, just hours before us, on a home we were interested in. On Monday, they backed out due to newly found job insecurity. I feel sorry for them and hope all is well, but this gave us the opportunity to re-present our offer, which was accepted. I held off celebrating until now because I just got confirmation from the lender.

So I will be planting in my own back yard this year! It may require a lot of work. The yard is on a steep slope which faces ESE. The slope will be a whole new ball game, and hopefully produce excellent results because the ground temperature will be higher than in a flat garden which is an issue in my climate.

So this will be a real grow blog this year!

Edit: here's a view of the back yard. I plan on taking out a couple trees.

View: https://youtu.be/fcv3Mr-FmRg
So, you plant your tobacco in that white dirt?

Tutu

Wowh that's impressive because I have never been able to germinate the Lumajang myself, ever, since I got the seeds in 2016.
Really wondering to see how it turns out. I expect it to be a more smoother version of Kasturi.
It's either regularly sun-cured on sun-cured in rajangan style.

Anaro should be Ainaro indeed. Hope any of yours are sprouting Bob!