Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo 2020 Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey China,
Is the grub in your post no: 64 one of those Horn Worm things. I don't want them they're pretty cheeky hide under the table and pop up for a feed every now and then.
Do you have a lot, like are they a problem or not?
Oldfella.
I’m thinking cutworm.

Here is a hornworm.

This is a bud worm. They cut the growth bud so you have to let a sucker grow up as the new main stem

Oldfella

I’m thinking cutworm.

Here is a hornworm.

This is a bud worm. They cut the growth bud so you have to let a sucker grow up as the new main stem
Thank you for that info. I had a quick look and have it filed away in my many things file.
I dunno if you guys got more bugs than us or what. Most of my bugs are White Butter fly catapilers. Aphids, slugs, snails, all pretty much control able with free ranging chickens. Ah well enough for now.
Oldfella.

ChinaVoodoo

Hey China,
Is the grub in your post no: 64 one of those Horn Worm things. I don't want them they're pretty cheeky hide under the table and pop up for a feed every now and then.
Do you have a lot, like are they a problem or not?
Oldfella.
I lost 5 plants to them. They are called cut worms. They live underground. They'll eat anything but do the most damage when they don't even surface, but remain just under, and perform the old Paul Bunyan maneuver. When you see evidence you have to scrape and dig the dirt to find them.

They have a short window, which is now over, and I had extra plants to replace the fallen.

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you for that info. I had a quick look and have it filed away in my many things file.
I dunno if you guys got more bugs than us or what. Most of my bugs are White Butter fly catapilers. Aphids, slugs, snails, all pretty much control able with free ranging chickens. Ah well enough for now.
Oldfella.
I have a lesser variety of pests than the Americans. I don't get hornworms. Only seen one in my life on my aunt's tomato plant in Kelowna where its much warmer.

Slugs don't really do much damage to tobacco and I find the packages of slug bait annihilate them if I need to. They devastates po-ta-toes. I hates them.

Aphids will be a problem on unbagged flowers which is just the oriental tobaccos.

Oldfella

I have a lesser variety of pests than the Americans. I don't get hornworms. Only seen one in my life on my aunt's tomato plant in Kelowna where its much warmer.

Slugs don't really do much damage to tobacco and I find the packages of slug bait annihilate them if I need to. They devastates po-ta-toes. I hates them.

Aphids will be a problem on unbagged flowers which is just the oriental tobaccos.
I've never seen a hornworm either, don't really want to. As you say slugs, snails and even the green catapilers are not major problems for me. Wind damage is the killer. As most of my tobacco gets shredded for ciggies anyway.What's a few holes?
Oldfella
Edit If the Aphids get to be a problem, soapy water spraying sorts it out. Otherwise they will fall off dead as the leaves are handled.
Cheer's

Charly

You are right, thankfully the slugs are not a danger for our little plants (pictures from this year).

slugs1.jpg

slugs2.jpg

slugs3.jpg

slugs4.jpg

You can see that I have even decided to use some bait... early in the season... but they did not seem to be interested by it (I had to go hunt for them by night a few times to reduce their number, or I would have not many plants left...)

And now we have grasshopers...

Oldfella

You are right, thankfully the slugs are not a danger for our little plants (pictures from this year).

View attachment 31546

View attachment 31547

View attachment 31548

View attachment 31549

You can see that I have even decided to use some bait... early in the season... but they did not seem to be interested by it (I had to go hunt for them by night a few times to reduce their number, or I would have not many plants left...)

And now we have grasshopers...
Can't win can you. Still, I think you'll get a good crop in the end though. You seem to have more Slugs & Snails than I do. Chickens are what you need.
Oldfella

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Chickens (and ducks) are an option we are thinking about for a long time, but it involves more work in the garden... but... maybe...
I do not worry, the slugs did not eat everything ;) It's nature, we have to share a bit with our neighbors.
I miss my chickens. I let them free range in the yard for some really cool pets and insect control but the owls got them.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
39fb3ba4ac80ab31e7ad29689f3e9796.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.