Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

China Voodoo's Invertebrate Kiln

Tobaccofieldsforever

@ChinaVoodoo also, do you think two 40 watt lights create more heat than one 80w? Just curious the reasoning behind the two bulbs rather than maybe one higher wattage bulb. It seems like the increased surface area of two bulbs may release more heat but not positive…I am asking so many questions because I am in the process of copying your design…haha! Thanks for the great idea! (Thinking of using an in duct dryer vent fan but not positive yet. Also considering crock pot, heat rock, heat mat etc…will likely use the bulbs as you did though)

Tobaccofieldsforever

@ChinaVoodoo do you still kiln in the bucket with bags? Do you find that you need to vent the bags/bucket occasionally during kilning to release ammonia or do you let it run the whole cycle without any venting? If you need to vent, about how often? Also, I do not know what your temperature settings are but when your kiln reaches the set temp and the power is cut to the lights have you noticed if the kiln temp continues to increase? (Residual heat from light bulbs). If so, have you had to set your goal temp lower to avoid over heating? Thanks in advance for any help, I just keep coming up with questions as I build!

ChinaVoodoo

@ChinaVoodoo do you still kiln in the bucket with bags? Do you find that you need to vent the bags/bucket occasionally during kilning to release ammonia or do you let it run the whole cycle without any venting? If you need to vent, about how often? Also, I do not know what your temperature settings are but when your kiln reaches the set temp and the power is cut to the lights have you noticed if the kiln temp continues to increase? (Residual heat from light bulbs). If so, have you had to set your goal temp lower to avoid over heating? Thanks in advance for any help, I just keep coming up with questions as I build!
I still use buckets.
I open the buckets and bags a couple days in to make sure that it is neither too dry nor too wet. I do look at it every week to see that it's all good still (no moisture leaking from the buckets) and to sample leaves (for curiosity), but not because of ammonia or anything.
I set it at 124°F.
The temperature never goes above the set point. The amount of heat in the bulb is too small to have an impact after they turn off.

I want to mention that the buckets should be raised a minimum of an inch off the floor to ensure that the temperature at bottom of the bucket is consistent with the air temperature in the kiln.

Tobaccofieldsforever

I still use buckets.
I open the buckets and bags a couple days in to make sure that it is neither too dry nor too wet. I do look at it every week to see that it's all good still (no moisture leaking from the buckets) and to sample leaves (for curiosity), but not because of ammonia or anything.
I set it at 124°F.
The temperature never goes above the set point. The amount of heat in the bulb is too small to have an impact after they turn off.

I want to mention that the buckets should be raised a minimum of an inch off the floor to ensure that the temperature at bottom of the bucket is consistent with the air temperature in the kiln.
What are the issues associated with “too wet”. Pardon all my questions, I have never kilned before! It is my understanding that mold is an impossibility above 122 F. If this is the case, isn’t even high case ok? Obviously you don’t want it sopping wet but what is too wet and how is it a concern? Thanks!…

ChinaVoodoo

What are the issues associated with “too wet”. Pardon all my questions, I have never kilned before! It is my understanding that mold is an impossibility above 122 F. If this is the case, isn’t even high case ok? Obviously you don’t want it sopping wet but what is too wet and how is it a concern? Thanks!…
Uhhh, darker and it like gets mushy, kinda.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I had a large bag of either Olor or Piloto Cubano (I've forgotten which) that I kilned for two months, along with several other large bags of leaf. That particular bag apparently accumulated some condensation near the bottom during kilning, and I failed to notice. Once I removed the bag, I discovered that several leaves at the bottom of that bag had cooked into what resembles Cavendish. I set those leaves aside for use in pipe blending.

Bob

Tobaccofieldsforever

Thank you everyone for all the help. For now I am just going to kiln inside resealed bags from whole leaf (I have A LOT of them) so I don’t have to worry as much about humidity as I am a beginner. I’m thinking everything should do OK inside a lidless tote (elevated off the floor of kiln and away from walls). I guess I will find out if I am correct in about a month or so from now. I will hopefully be operational within the next few days. Construction is moving along slowly due to employment and other non-tobacco demands of life. If anyone has anymore suggestions or sees any glaring defects in my construction or planned operation, please feel free to let me know.
Also, thanks again @ChinaVoodoo for this post. This is my version of your invertebrate kiln!!
EB66BED5-9592-4D9F-8BA5-6B125D106DAE.jpegC4C336C3-175B-4DAB-8DDD-83832F5DAA96.jpeg

ChinaVoodoo

Your kiln looks great. I understand the let's wait and see how this goes before making any more changes. I hope it works as is, but I'm thinking there's a good chance the tobacco will dry out if not in a sealed bucket of some sort. Of course, I recommend a brewing primary because of the certainty it's food safe and won't do anything weird.

I would rather you put those bags in a blue recycle bag than that tote. I once had totes from Walmart that imparted a flavour to my tobacco (at room temperature) which took months to get rid of. Another member flue cured in a waste bucket and it smelled funny.

Tobaccofieldsforever

Your kiln looks great. I understand the let's wait and see how this goes before making any more changes. I hope it works as is, but I'm thinking there's a good chance the tobacco will dry out if not in a sealed bucket of some sort. Of course, I recommend a brewing primary because of the certainty it's food safe and won't do anything weird.

I would rather you put those bags in a blue recycle bag than that tote. I once had totes from Walmart that imparted a flavour to my tobacco (at room temperature) which took months to get rid of. Another member flue cured in a waste bucket and it smelled funny.
Thanks for the advice! So, after a fairly quick research session, I have found out that a brewing primary can be any food grade plastic bucket? (I have never homebrewed and quit drinking years ago…but maybe it’s time to start again…hahaha) but they generally come with grommet ready lids. I also came across a rant from a man who claims as long as it is HDPE and clean it will work…? I don’t want to take chances after all this work so I will go the route of food grade plastic. I would prefer, however, to not have to special order something from a home brewing company because I am not aware of any home brewing supply stores in my area. So is any food grade, bpa free, fda approved container sufficient??

Tobaccofieldsforever

@ChinaVoodoo Do you still have the offending tote? If so, what is the stamping of the plastic on the bottom inside the triangle? HDPE 2 seems to be food grade bucket but my tote has PP 5 on it and I read that this is the “safest of all plastics!?” What marking is on your brewing primary that you use? I know that it would be easier to just order a brewing primary but they are just plastic containers made of a certain type of plastic (also translucent sometimes but this is not necessary for my kiln)

Tobaccofieldsforever

Also, I have loads of mason jars on hand with lids and rings. Early on I chose to store my tobacco in glass jars to avoid any leeching issues with plastic so you have struck a bit of a nerve with your suggestion. It seems impractical to kiln everything in mason jars though right? I was unsure about the whole “what to kiln the tobacco in” issue anyway so I am glad it is now being discussed in depth.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your kiln—the walls, the glue—is plastic. You might want to take it up to 128º for a week or three, with it empty, in order to out-gas the various plastics. While you're at it, include the bucket or tote of your choice, so it can out-gas as well.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

@ChinaVoodoo Do you still have the offending tote? If so, what is the stamping of the plastic on the bottom inside the triangle? HDPE 2 seems to be food grade bucket but my tote has PP 5 on it and I read that this is the “safest of all plastics!?” What marking is on your brewing primary that you use? I know that it would be easier to just order a brewing primary but they are just plastic containers made of a certain type of plastic (also translucent sometimes but this is not necessary for my kiln)
I'll take a look later today.

I think that the person insisting HDPE is all good is right. There's an Italian place here that gets a gazillion gallons of grapes pressed and sells the juice every year. They're in what looks to me to be just regular white 5 gallon buckets, like the old Home Depot buckets before they changed them to orange.

ChinaVoodoo

The brewing primary is #5 and says PP.
The smelly tote doesn't have a recycle symbol, but it does say "sterilite" which I guess is just a brand name. Here's the tote:

Tobaccofieldsforever

The brewing primary is #5 and says PP.
The smelly tote doesn't have a recycle symbol, but it does say "sterilite" which I guess is just a brand name. Here's the tote:
Thank you for checking! Yea the tote I was thinking about using based on its size doesn’t have any identifying marks on the bottom…I am not going to use it anymore. I will have to decide what I am going to use. I am in search of ceramic tile to line the bottom with currently