Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

ChinaVoodoo's 2015 grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChinaVoodoo

Some friends of mine throw a potluck every year to celebrate the harvest. People are encouraged to bring dishes made from their gardens. You know, it's not difficult to grow here. There's common problems related to poor weather. Often our tomatoes have to be harvested green, for example. This year, I noticed a major drop in the bee population in the city because it was too dry, perhaps. Anyways, this was a fantastic year in Edmonton. Not only have we had a hotter and longer than usual growing season, but they've just began a pilot project to allow chickens in the city. The host of the potluck has one of the permits. Let's cross our fingers everyone will be able to keep chickens soon.

Traditionally there are prizes for our dishes in different categories. I've won in the past for bringing venison for example because I was the only one who brought meat that was actually harvested by one of the guests. A special category this year was "cured dish". I brought "adult desert" in the form of MD609/Symbol4 cigarettes, and won a book about eating during the zombie apocalypse. It's a cool book. Anyways, I had a number of comments about how they were the best cigarettes they had ever smoked, so I'm feeling pretty good.

ChinaVoodoo

I still plan on building a nice kiln like Knucklehead or Deluxe Stogie, but I don't have time, so i tthrew together a kiln with a larger cooler than the one I had before.

Here's the rundown. Bathroom ventilation fan and two 25W halogen laps turn on via temperature controller. Snail shaped fan circulated air constantly to keep everything even. Tobacco is in medium case in 4mil poly bags. Most is beside the fan and bulbs, but one bag is above. Grills line the bottom and walls to keep tobacco from touching a colder surface. There is a steel lid from some other wifely thing over the bulbs and a hydroponic reflective cloth under the tobacco that is above them to prevent over-heating.

There is another thermometer I move around to make sure there's no cold or hot spots.

The 50W of halogen is only on about 25% of the time. Alternatively, without the $100 controller, you could use rheostats and a bunch of fiddling like my old cooler kiln did.

Photos!
IMG_20160111_112346.jpg
IMG_20160111_110741.jpg
IMG_20160111_110723.jpg
IMG_20160111_110649.jpg
IMG_20160111_110601.jpg
IMG_20160111_110535.jpg
IMG_20160111_110458.jpg
IMG_20160111_110441.jpg
IMG_20160111_112732.jpg

Deano

Transplant day! I would love to have just planted them in the ground, but it's well before last frost, and I'm going on vacation. Therefore, I and my friend transplanted everything into 2.6L pots which will sit in the greenhouse for three weeks or a month. They should be nice when I get back. I just built the greenhouse over the last week or so. Still need to finish the door, put in a fan and a temperature controller, otherwise good to go.

I thought I would mention something I did a while back. For identification of plants I'm using Popsicle sticks, but instead of writing names on them, I colour coded them with crayon. The results of which have been great. The colours are still totally intact and clear.

View attachment 15216
hello mate,was scrolling through your grow blog (been following alot of your very handy posts) and saw the photo of your greenhouse.Im attempting to build one shortly and wondered if you have any pictures of it?

ChinaVoodoo

hello mate,was scrolling through your grow blog (been following alot of your very handy posts) and saw the photo of your greenhouse.Im attempting to build one shortly and wondered if you have any pictures of it?
Thanks, man.
I only had that greenhouse for a year before I moved. It was a Costco car shelter made extra sturdy with strategic use of 1x4 and 2x2 lumber, and covered with acrylic sidewalls and polycarbonate roof, and front and back walls. The gaps were either filled with silicone or stuffed with foam or recycle bags. There was a temperature controller which ran a powered fan. I would have done it with those window opener cyclinders instead, but I didn't know they existed.
These appear to be the only photos.
DSC_0052~2.JPG
DSC_0050_1~2.JPG
DSC_0051~2.JPG

Deano

hey mate, just saw your reply...hahah only a few months late. That greenhouse is incredible.I think that plastic roofing is perfect. i might give that a go this autumn. How do you find the heat in the summer months? in NZ it can somtimes get too hot for clear plastic..

ChinaVoodoo

hey mate, just saw your reply...hahah only a few months late. That greenhouse is incredible.I think that plastic roofing is perfect. i might give that a go this autumn. How do you find the heat in the summer months? in NZ it can somtimes get too hot for clear plastic..
Even in my temperate climate, a greenhouse needs to have automatic ventilation, whether fans or automatic window openers, or leave it wide open all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.