Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chinese Sun Curing

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I found some photos related with sun curing in China. As far as I can see from the image, the variety resembles a type of Bright Leaf (or FC).

Corbis-42-28845464.jpg

They arrange bamboo (or something like that) sticks as a mesh like structure and put the leaves between two frames of mesh.

Corbis-42-28845463.jpg

And here's the sun curing area.

Corbis-42-28845465.jpg

May be this gives an idea to the Bright Leaf (or FC) type growers which don't have a flue curing system. The region where photos taken looks like a very humid place (Guangxi - Southern China) so drying green is probably not a problem, but drier conditions may made sun curing a little bit more difficult. Let's try and see.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My flue cure varieties sun cured very well this past season. The sweetness falls somewhere between air cured and flue cured. The colors of most leaves were a combination of yellow, orange, red, and brown. Gorgeous leaf. I plan to sun cure all my "Virginias" in the future.

Their sun curing racks resemble what I had thought about building, which was basically two screen doors with the leaf sandwiched between them. I was going to hinge one side, latch the other side and just flip the rack daily.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Truly odd shaped mountains in the background of the first picture. They look like dragon teeth.

Markw

Yes I was thinking that the picture was of the Chocolate Hills in Bohol in the Philippines, It looks stunning scenery where ever it is.

jekylnz

Thanks for sharing bulin ..thats very interesting. .this is the sort of thing us home growers need to take notice of. .tried and true ways..without cost..(well much)and making use of the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.