Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Chocolate Milk Cheese

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
When Life Gives You Sour Chocolate Milk, Just Say, "Cheese".

Yesterday, I had occasion to drive into town. For the first time in 16 months, I ventured into the Walmart. While there, I picked up a ½ gallon jug of 1% chocolate milk. At home, I immediately discovered that the chocolate milk had begun to sour, even though the date printed on the bottle is two weeks into the future.

In my freezer, I had packets of Fromage Blanc cheese starter cultures, which I had obtained on sale, because of their short expiration dates--about 10 years ago. I poured all the chocolate milk into a stainless bowl, heated it in a water bath to 86°F, then set it out. Into that I mixed the Fromage Blanc starter packet. But it was mighty old for a packet of living stuff, so I stirred in a second packet, covered the bowl, and allowed it to sit at room temperature (mid 70s) for about 16 hours. It was then ladled into a colander lined with butter muslin, tied into a pouch, and hung above the sink until it stopped dripping (~5 hours).

Garden20210627_5808_chocolateMilkCheese_600.jpg

To this soft cheese, I added some salt and some sugar, and blended it well. It is now hiding in my fridge. It tastes like a mild, interesting cheese, with a subtle chocolate flavor. I plan to spread some on my peanut butter sandwich, in place of jam.

The roughly 1½ quarts of chocolate milk yielded maybe a third of a pint of soft cheese.

Bob

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Your have to think of it as Little Debbie Nutty Buddies with class.

Sugar wafers have a nice flavor, but too much sugar. The chocolate milk cheese softens the sugar impact, and adds a subtle chocolate undertone, and a gentle cheesecake character, suggestive of a dessert at a classy restaurant. I just close my eyes, and munch.

Bob

Cray Squirrel

Squirreled a lot!!
Your have to think of it as Little Debbie Nutty Buddies with class.

Sugar wafers have a nice flavor, but too much sugar. The chocolate milk cheese softens the sugar impact, and adds a subtle chocolate undertone, and a gentle cheesecake character, suggestive of a dessert at a classy restaurant. I just close my eyes, and munch.

Bob
Sounds like great stuff Bob
Does it kill ants?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Chocolate Milk Cheese Blintz

Garden20210704_5829_ChocolateMilkCheeseBlintz_topped_600.jpg

This is for chocolate milk cheese skeptics as well as for vanilla sugar wafer haters. Using a burrito-size flour tortilla, I lightly softened it in hot margarine (meaning it ended up saturated, and nearly translucent), filled it with chocolate milk cheese, and rolled it, tucking the open ends beneath. This was then baked at 450°F for 15 minutes (until lightly browned, with crispy edges), allowed to cool, then refrigerated for several hours before serving.

Garden20210704_5823_ChocolateMilkCheeseBlintz_baked_600.jpg

Once well chilled, it was generously topped with sour cream and strawberry jam. This makes a nominal two servings for any reasonable appetite. (I had intended to eat it all, but instead, ate only half tonight, washed down with a big mug of cold milk.)

Bob

Last edited: