Whole Leaf Tobacco

Choosing varieties to grow ??

MRM

I am not a daily cigar smoker...yet.
I dont know much about the different varieties although I'm reading and learning more daily.
I enjoy a cigar that falls into the medium range.
What I do not enjoy is spice/pepper.

I will be growing cherry red for cigarettes so might as well add some cigar varieties too.
(I prefer to jump in the deep end versus getting my feet wet)
I'm thinking about;
Conn. broadleaf
Fl Sumatra
Besuki
Little Dutch
Long Red
Lancaster seed
Dominican Olor is trying to make the list

Are these good choices for someone that doesnt want pepper/spice or just a hint of?

If there is a must have that I dont have listed I'm open to suggestions.

I'm very excited, seed starting is a month away. I will start a grow blog soon!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
If that is your max number of varieties, I would bump either Olor or Besuki, and replace it with Corojo 99. Corojo 99 is generally milder than Olor, and Besuki, FL Sumatra and CT Broadleaf are all wrapper/binder varieties. CT Broadleaf also makes good filler; FL Sumatra upper leaf makes good filler as well. To add to the confusion, I'll say that Besuki is the easiest of those three varieties to use as wrapper or binder.

Bob

MRM

If that is your max number of varieties, I would bump either Olor or Besuki, and replace it with Corojo 99. Corojo 99 is generally milder than Olor, and Besuki, FL Sumatra and CT Broadleaf are all wrapper/binder varieties. CT Broadleaf also makes good filler; FL Sumatra upper leaf makes good filler as well. To add to the confusion, I'll say that Besuki is the easiest of those three varieties to use as wrapper or binder.

Bob
Thanks for that. I will be looking into the corojo 99 momentarily.

My intentions were conn broadleaf and besuki or Fl Sumatra for wrappers and binders while the rest are mainly filler (although I've read they can make some good wrappers also).

I'm not finding corojo 99 seed at northwood or victory. Any suggestions where else to look?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Besuki that I grew from Anton's seed (directly collected from two different localities in Indonesia) seemed a bit more intense to me than the Besuki I grew from "Java Besuki" seed sold by tabakanbau.de. The latter produced larger and milder leaves that had nearly white stems and stalk, and lighter green lamina, when compared to the Indonesia sourced plants. I'm fairly certain that Skychaser's Besuki is of the tabakanbau type.

Bob