Whole Leaf Tobacco

Ciennepi 2019 Grow Blog

MAB

Yes, it's really a horrible spring! and the medium-term forecasts, even if they are unreliable, say nothing good ... We hope they are wrong!

ciennepi

The last week begin to resemble to the real summer and the plants begin to grow:)
Here a comparison of some pots of the four strain that I grow this year.
Left high Little Dutch (transplanted before the others), right high Piloto Cubano, left low Vuelta Abajo and right low Bahia. To me the last two are very similar but LD and PC have a particular shape of the leaves.

ciennepi

Today there was a nice sun and warm weather so I transplanted all my seedling. I cannot use all the garden this year because we have use it for deposit of excavated material caused by the construction of our new house.
This are 5 Vuelta Abajo and 3 Little Dutch.
And this 5 Piloto Cubano and 3 Little Dutch.

ciennepi

This are some of my pot cultivation after one month of transplant. From the left Piloto Cubano PR, Vuelta Abajo, Little Dutch and Bahia. I'm happy with the grow, big and flawless leaves. The only concern is Little Dutch. It was the fastest growing but now, at only 60 cm high, it is already flowering :oops: Is it normal or A.B.Normal?

ChinaVoodoo

This are some of my pot cultivation after one month of transplant. From the left Piloto Cubano PR, Vuelta Abajo, Little Dutch and Bahia. I'm happy with the grow, big and flawless leaves. The only concern is Little Dutch. It was the fastest growing but now, at only 60 cm high, it is already flowering :oops: Is it normal or A.B.Normal?
View attachment 27630
I think it's flowering because of the small pot it is in. You can get more leaf if you want by topping it and letting the highest sucker become a new stalk.

ciennepi

May be but other strain, in the same size pot, are still growing without sign of bud flower.
I will try to grow one of the lateral sucker but it will be not so good in quality.

Charly

Little Dutch flowers early (at least it did so in my garden).
It stays quite low (for a cigar variety), if I remember well, it didn't grow higher than one metet high.
But it continues to produce some big leaves.
As ChinaVoodoo said, top them to allow them to make new leaves.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know of anyone who can adequately explain the causes of early tobacco blossoming. Light period? Changes of light period? Temperature? Temperature swings?
Soil stress? Sometimes some plants just do that. I agree with you that sucker leaf may not be of the same quality as primary leaf. So some decision of priorities is in order. Do you need a few more (though lower quality) leaves, or do you need to harvest seed from it this season?

In the field, Little Dutch produces the same, robust root system as taller varieties, but is not as tall, because of a short inter-nodal distance (stalk distance between adjacent leaves). So it "expects" as much root space as any full-size tobacco variety. "Little" applies only to its stalk height. The base of the stalk sometimes exceeds 5 cm in diameter. The taller, Dutch (Ohio) is a bit milder, but exhibits a greater inter-nodal distance.

Bob