Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar filler complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
More than a few times, I've read or have heard that the cigar fillers are sub-standard and that WholeLeafTobacco.com cigar tobacco does not make available the same fillers used by "the big boys". There are basically three levels of cigar tobacco...Budget, Premium, and Luxury. Most cigar manufacturers do not grow their own tobacco which means they buy it on the open market or under contract. When the tobacco is fermented, the pilon (pile of tobacco) is prompted to begin the natural process of decomposing or composting. The controled decomposition process releases nitrogen that is stored in the leaves. Nitrogen in tobacco creates a very poor quality tobacco. When the center of the pilon reaches the desired temperature, the decomposition process is stopped by breaking down pilon and rebuilding by placing the outermost hands of tobacco in the center of the pilon. The process is repeated at least three times. before the tobacco is "finished". The tobacco that is produced within these pilons does not all get the same amount of exposure to the ideal temperature created in the process, but there is a sweet spot in the pilon where the tobacco is subjected to the ideal temperature the longest...this is where the best tobacco is created.

There are a lot of factors that go into what grade the tobacco will ultimately be labeled. Growing season (hot/dry, makes a thick, strong leaf, wet/cool makes a thinner milder leaf) Timing in harvesting at the peak of readiness, Curing conditions, pest infestation, etc. etc. Every growing season is different, so every crop year will be different as well. The vast majority of cigar tobacco produced will find it's way into budget cigars, maybe 20% - 30% can be considered "premium" tobacco and far less than that will climb to the "luxury" classification. As cigar smokers, you know that luxury cigars can cost $25 - $100+ for one cigar.

In an attempt to satisfy some of the more discerning customers, I will be introducing a limited line of "Luxury" tobaccos. Among which are ASP Nicaragua, some of you might remember this from about 7 - 8 years ago when I was able to get it out of Miami. I have made a connection in the DR who can bring it in directly from Nicaragua thus bypassing the corporate office in Miami where the FDA requires them to only sell to those with a TTB license (which is not the law, but the FDA is strong arming ASP, so they go along to get along). Golden Hair (yes it is a variety) and Creole 99. These three tobaccos were used in an award winning cigar in 2019.

Currently, the tobacco being sold on the WLT site is indeed premium tobacco, so you're making $6 - $10 cigars for about $1 - $2 each. The upgraded tobacco will be more, but you might finally find "that one" tobacco you've been looking for.

Check back for updates in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:

GreenDragon

I’ve probably purchased 80% of everything you carry over the past couple of years, and everything has been excellent in quality, value, condition, and customer service. While I am excited to try some of these premium offerings, I have never had reason to complain about your regular stock. Unfortunately, many people show their ignorance through “complaints” such as this. Keep up the good work!

burge

This is the best tobacco you can buy some people do want luxury and I know the virginia is the best you can buy

RandyL

Any update on this? Have to reload on filler and wrapper and was wondering if I should wait.

RandyL

I meant what primings of the 3 will be in stock. Guess I’m getting ahead of myself so we’ll have to wait and see. As a fan of Nicaraguan tobacco I’m excited to try these. ASP is known for grown strong tobacco in Esteli so hoping there’s a Ligero in there from them. Guessing the Creole 99 is Corojo strain from Nicaraguan as well. I’ve seen the creole used interchangeably with Corojo on a few cigars I smoke. The pelo de oro is also famously grown used by My Father cigars. Haven’t been this excited about leaf in a while.

tullius

I asked about some currently out of stock wlt cigar tobaccos last time I was in. Don was very busy but gracious and made time for a quick visit. Lot of places don't do that.

Specifically asked about rene seco filler and corojo wrapper, I think. My recollection is that they were being ordered shortly, or had been ordered, with delivery in several weeks, couple separate orders.

I'm sure they'll be coming soon. Then they gotta break down the bales into 1 lb. bunches and carefully package it, takes time and care.

I'll wait. You should too. It's worth it.

ChinaVoodoo

Criollo and Corojo are different strains.

Bob
Is there a difference been criollo 98 and creole 99 as per Don's original post?

Edit: a google search for creole 99 comes up with a cigar called FOUNDATION CIGAR CO: EL GÜEGÜENSE CORONA GORDA which has "Nicaraguan Creole Corojo 99".

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There's no way to even guess what that is. Corojo was developed in Cuba from a grower-selected Vuelta Abajo variety. Criollo was probably developed in Cuba from Corojo. The numbered versions of the two were agronomic enhancements to combat various pathogens.

"Criollo" just means "native", and has been applied to completely different tobacco from other countries. "Creole" is the English translation of "criollo".

It has apparently been fashionable over the past ten years to hybridize on the fly, to develop a "new and wonderful cigar leaf". WLT has carried at least one of those developed in the Dominican Republic.

I think the bottom line is that the well known varieties for which seed is available, and for which fairly complete documentation exists, are being mixed up and obfuscated by cigar marketeers, in their quest for a unique marketing advantage. New varieties that are truly excellent do come along. When the name of a variety is confusing, you'll just have to give it a go, and see what it is and how it blends. ['98 and '99 are over two decades ago!]

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Wrappers and binders have been restocked. Vuelta Abajo binder will come in with the fillers in a week or two...hopefully. The Maduro wrapper is exceptionally nice. The Olor Binder is great. The CT Shade is a little smaller than I like, but it was the best I could do.

Seco is just about the only stalk position we sell enough of to mess with, but i might bring in a couple of higher positions in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.