Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigar wine pairing

ChinaVoodoo

I had some South African 100% pinotage and it had this prominent chocolate note and I figured it would be great with a cigar. So i went out and found another pinotage, from Stone Boat which is in Oliver BC, and smoked a Casa Turrent with it and it was incredible. I've smoked cigars with wine many times and this was the first time I ever experienced the pairing to improve the taste of both.

I highly recommend looking for 100% pinotage and trying it with a cigar.

It isn't the supposed robustness of the wine standing up to the tobacco. It is the flavour profile of the wine that creates the experience.

CobGuy

Glad you found that nirvana! :)

For me, it's usually a coffee pairing for cigars with the occasional bourbon or scotch instead.
It has to be a nice, heavy cigar to cut through the strong flavors of darker wines & spirits.

~Darin

waikikigun

I had some South African 100% pinotage and it had this prominent chocolate note and I figured it would be great with a cigar. So i went out and found another pinotage, from Stone Boat which is in Oliver BC, and smoked a Casa Turrent with it and it was incredible. I've smoked cigars with wine many times and this was the first time I ever experienced the pairing to improve the taste of both.

I highly recommend looking for 100% pinotage and trying it with a cigar.

It isn't the supposed robustness of the wine standing up to the tobacco. It is the flavour profile of the wine that creates the experience.
Good tip, thanks. I often enjoy cigars with porto. I'll try to score a bottle of pinotage.

tullius

Lots of good suggestions as to what to drink while smoking, thanks all, have some good new ideas to try.

My favorites are coffee, good whiskey, good whisky, and Barbadillo Oloroso Full Dry sherry.

1569712593524.png

Toffee, caramel, blonde roast coffee, toasted pecans, mild milk chocolate and creamy spicy candied apricots. Unusual pairing, but best with a Zino Mouton Cadet type, and also good alone as a digestif. Outstanding for the money (10 USD/750ml bottle), very highly recommended.

Now desaparecido in my local market, have to hunt down another case online cause I'm out.

ChinaVoodoo

This wine might grow on me if I were to drink it which I won't but the wife wanted me to taste it and my first impression is that it's chemically, with bitter dandelion wine flavour. Nevertheless, I believe the label has needle point tobacco plants and a sailing ship on it, which is cool.

Behold!
DSC_1083~2.JPG

Edit: oh, and some weird ass birds.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Greek retsina wine is traditionally preserved with juniper berries, giving it a distinctive edge. I forced myself to drink it while I was in Greece, but never took to it.

Bob

EDIT: "originated from the practice of sealing wine vessels, particularly amphorae, with Aleppo Pine resin in ancient times." [Wikipedia]

PressuredLeaf

I’m not a huge fan of wine with cigars, I feel like they kind of compete for flavor receptors when used together. I do love red wine with Virginia pipe blends though, even the worst tongue bite can be cured with a small sip of something fairly tannic.