Whole Leaf Tobacco

cigarette tobacco vs pipe tobacco stickiness

JoeCamel

So we know that cigarette companies use lots of additives and flavorings, how come that cigarette tobacco is so flacky and dry ? I know that for example glycerin is sticky and PG not so much.Also several types of sugars are added to the cigarette tobacco but none of it seems to leave the cigarette tobacco sticky compared to pipe tobacco.Do the sugarw actually react with the tobacco leaves ? I've read that heating causes the tobacco pores to open up and absorb some of the casings, whats the science behind it ? I dont understand how adding pg, glycerine, sugars, honey etc to the tobacco leaves no stickiness in the cigarette.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Not sure how much this contributes to the stickiness, but a member dissected a commercial cigarette into three piles. Approximately 1/3 leaf, 1/3 reconstituted tobacco, and 1/3 stem/stalk pieces.

ChinaVoodoo

Check out the attached screenshots in this post :

It is from a website BAT has taken down that listed the ingredients in all their products. It's too bad we can't compare these cigarettes with their pipe tobacco (the Dunhill stuff), but you can see that not all cigarettes are created equal, and that they contain expanded tobacco. If I remember correctly, those are the two biggest differences. Pipe tobacco uses more glycerine and doesn't use expanded tobacco.