Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I have been using Premier, the dark blue. I have a small electric cigarette maker, which has been fine for a long time now--no problems. There is a kind of tubes called Zen, which I like better than Premier. The guy at the smoke shop says that only so many boxes of this Zen are available each month, and sell out fast.

My machine works good with all brands of tubes, and I really don't notice the brand of tube having anything to do with the taste of the cigarette. Something about Zen I like--don't really know why.

My biggest problem was finding a good way to shred the tobacco leaves. I don't want to spend over 100 bucks for the shredders they sell. So I developed a method of making a stack of 20-30 leaves smoothed out. Then I fold this pile into a square pad. Then I cut diagonally with scissors, very thin strips. Then I cut the strips into quarter inch pieces. So I end up with little tiny stacks of strips, and if the tobacco is too moist it is hard to separate the little pieces. So I do this with dry leaves, just damp enough so that they don't break and crumble. At the end I just rub all the little stacks against each other, and all the little strips separate into good size flakes ready for the machine.

Some folks are using the pasta makers with angel hair attachment with some success. I like the Zen tubes, especially the fact they're packed 250 per box. If you can't find them, Gambler brand is really close in taste.

CT Tobaccoman

Yes, some of the cheap convenience store cigars have it for wrapper. It's real name is Homogenized Tobacco Leaf (HTL.) Like Muriel--they advertise "100% real tobacco filler" so wrapper and binder are this HTL paper. All the cheap machine mades these days have HTL binders except for a few regional brands--most use a true tobacco wrapper. Some of these are not bad at all, like Garcia e Vega. HTL binder doesn't necessarily ruin a cigar.

When HTL first appeared around 1960 it drove a lot of binder growers out of business in places like Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, PA and the Conn Valley.

HTL is used in Marlboro as filler. Their HTL is made from flue cured. Probably most cigarettes contain some. The cheapie cigars use it for filler too.

I live near one of the original HTL factories. The tobacco smell coming out of their smokestacks is wonderful. It is big rolls of brown paper.

CT

bold_as_love

I'm having success with a Micro-Cut paper shredder, $40 from Office Max in the U.S. (2) passes through it the tobacco is perfect for my injector. $75 on eBay with free shipping.......Powermatic 2 electric. Going on over a year with it and zero issues. Has a jam sensor and will shut down automatically if you over-stuff the chamber. Had a Powermatic 1 which was fine, but eventually broke even though I was cautious with it.

I store my tobacco in a Zip Lock with a Water Pillow. Replace it when the tobacco doesn't stay moist, or around 45 days. I found them on eBay for 10 for $6. Dirt cheap. Soak the inner piece in distilled water for 15 seconds and it's ready to go. Just toss it in the bag.

Tubes - I've tried pretty much all of them and always come back to Golden Harvest. They're about the cheapest and tear a lot less than the other brands I've tried. Not harsh either, but I'm a light/ultra light guy, so I buy the blue (light) ones.

ChinaVoodoo

Yes, some of the cheap convenience store cigars have it for wrapper. It's real name is Homogenized Tobacco Leaf (HTL.) Like Muriel--they advertise "100% real tobacco filler" so wrapper and binder are this HTL paper. All the cheap machine mades these days have HTL binders except for a few regional brands--most use a true tobacco wrapper. Some of these are not bad at all, like Garcia e Vega. HTL binder doesn't necessarily ruin a cigar.

When HTL first appeared around 1960 it drove a lot of binder growers out of business in places like Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, PA and the Conn Valley.

HTL is used in Marlboro as filler. Their HTL is made from flue cured. Probably most cigarettes contain some. The cheapie cigars use it for filler too.

I live near one of the original HTL factories. The tobacco smell coming out of their smokestacks is wonderful. It is big rolls of brown paper.

CT

I got HTL papers years ago. They tasted like a melange of the flavoured papers next to them in the store. Are they actually half decent if they aren't contaminated? I figure it would be a convenient way to roll a smoke while at work or on the road.

Alhefner

Just tried Zico full flavor tubes. Just one cigarette so far though I have 5 cartons to use. Overall, it was a fairly good. Sort of gave a taste like Marlboro reds with my blend of 30% Virginia flue cure, 30% Brightleaf, 20% Burley, and 20% Izmir.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My source for tubes: http://www.rollyourown.com/
The flat rate shipping makes them cheaper than anyone else I've tried so far. No credit card needed. Print up the invoice and mail them a check.
I use the Gambler tubes exclusively now.

burge

I use Export A Players peter jackson filter rite. I am wondering would it be legal to put these on ebay? My choce is export A because they give full flavour and use less tobacco

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I use Export A Players peter jackson filter rite. I am wondering would it be legal to put these on ebay? My choce is export A because they give full flavour and use less tobacco

Cigarette tubes are available on Ebay.

Gmac

Cigarette tubes are available on Ebay.
The best tubes i've found come from the Phillipines sold by Just good Tobacco. I buy them 50 cartons at a time for $100 dollars=2.00$ a carton free shipping, No Tax. I've used over a hundred cartons and only had a handful to tear. These papers slide on the injector better than all the rest. I've found if you rotate the tube so the seam is up it will stay on the injector better and fill all the way. Have your tobacco at 14% moisture with these papers--Worry Free
Gmac

burge

I have always preferred export A tubes they produce a taylor made experience. They use less tobacco in a tube of .9 grms and I think its the best deal and saves on tobacco usage. I have always liked the smaller diameter tubes

PeacePipe

Gambler has been my best buy for both menthol and non.. I tried all the others available in the stores in my area and all 10 other brands were inferior in both taste and tube strength..

larryccf

i was smoking Three Castles till they shut down - luckily i had a pretty decent supply. Went to JGT (Just Good Tobacco) tubes and found they smoked nearly identical to the Three Castles, then found JGTs were rebranded Zico tubes. Recently changed to the Mascotte Classic Filter - it has a slightly less paper taste (to my tongue) - but Zicos, JGTs or Mascottes, i could live with any of them

ZigZagZeppelin

Yrs ago, prior to 2009, I was using Premier menthol tubes (with canned Kite and Top menthol cig tobaccy) as they were the best local to me at the time.

Ordered ten boxes of Zen Menthol 100's off Ebay last night, I'll report back on em. I have Zen Red 100's here now and they kick ass.

Gmac

i was smoking Three Castles till they shut down - luckily i had a pretty decent supply. Went to JGT (Just Good Tobacco) tubes and found they smoked nearly identical to the Three Castles, then found JGTs were rebranded Zico tubes. Recently changed to the Mascotte Classic Filter - it has a slightly less paper taste (to my tongue) - but Zicos, JGTs or Mascottes, i could live with any of them
I buy a 50 carton box of Just Good Tobacco Tubes for $100, which is $2.00 a Carton free shipping, no tax. Others I've tried sometime tear on my machines but these never have.

larryccf

i bought them by the case as well, last time i purch'd i called into JGT as they'd quit offering case qty on amazon or ebay - price over the phone was $95 shipped