Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigars-If you just want to accurately tell time, do you really need a Rolex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20180804_3729_cigar_notARolex_600.jpg

I was paging through a newly arrived catalog of Rolex watches. It had just come in the mail. Being a bit foggy from a poor night's sleep and some subsequent, tedious chores, I flipped the pages, wondering vaguely why all of the watches had a brown wristband. They were stunning medallions, in brilliant colors, and the prices were not as high as I would have supposed.

Brown wristbands? Rolex catalog in the mail? That can't be right. Seriously, it was a fresh catalog from JR Cigar. The prices of even cheap, bundled cigars run the risk of poking your eyes out.

Unless you have a secret, off-shore bank account loaded with millions, you just have to be nuts to buy these things any more. The stubby remnant shown above is WLT T-13 viso wrapped in WLT Habana 2000, and not even a binder. It's as smooth and delicious and firm and enjoyable as any cigar...any cigar you can purchase anywhere. No chaveta, no glue, no mold.

It's no longer a matter of penny pinching to roll your own cigars. Spending a bit of time learning the simple, manual skill of rolling a smokable cigar is saving easily $5 to $10 per cigar! It's crazy how exorbitant the prices of bread and butter cigars have become. No wonder the cigar bands are starting to look like Rolex watches.

A cheap, bamboo cutting board from Walmart, a cigar guillotine cutter (ordinary cigar cutter) and a $1 spray bottle (for water) is absolutely all the investment required. One cigar blend kit from WLT will provide enough wrapper, filler and binder to get just about anybody through the basics of rolling a smokable cigar. Tobacco plus those basic accessories cost about what one cheap, cheap bundle of mediocre cigars would cost.

So why spend your retirement on factory cigars?

Bob

CobGuy

Re: Cigars - If you just want to accurately tell time, do you really need a Rolex?

Amen, Brother Bob ... preaching to the choir! :)

Even my "quick & dirty" sticks are as good or better than anything in the $3-5 range.

-Darin

Orson Carte

Re: Cigars - If you just want to accurately tell time, do you really need a Rolex?

I know that this isn't really about Rolexes but speaking of them, in my humble opinion they're highly over-rated - which I realise is the purpose of the analogy.
They may keep accurate time and continue to tick even you abandon the diving bell at at 3900 metres but to my eye, compared aesthetically to many others, they look like crap.
I actually collect and love clocks and watches, and fix them as a hobby. And although I certainly wouldn't part with my one and only Rolex I'd never wear it either. That privilege I give to a reasonably ordinary but beautiful Seiko.

DistillingJim

The main reason I started smoking a pipe back in the day was because there was no way I could justify the cost of a cigar for poker nights. Its pretty awesome being in a situation these days where I smoke what I feel like without thought to cost because cost is virtually zero.

Smokin Harley

Since acquiring this house , we spend a lot of time hanging around the pool . My wife has also become my cigar smoking companion ,I share my cigar with her. We either are having a good afternoon ,pre-dinner swim or after dinner evening relaxing time on the deck and enjoy the breeze we always seem to get up on this mountain. She will actually tell me - go pick us out a nice cigar and I'll make us a cocktail... Her favorite cigars are usually the ones I have rolled myself, WLT stock .

greenmonster714

Since acquiring this house , we spend a lot of time hanging around the pool . My wife has also become my cigar smoking companion ,I share my cigar with her. We either are having a good afternoon ,pre-dinner swim or after dinner evening relaxing time on the deck and enjoy the breeze we always seem to get up on this mountain. She will actually tell me - go pick us out a nice cigar and I'll make us a cocktail... Her favorite cigars are usually the ones I have rolled myself, WLT stock .

Can't get much better than that.

Charly

From my own experience, I have to say that I have been disappointed so many times with commercial cigars that I stopped buying them two years ago now, and I do not regret them at all.

So much random quality or regularity... really too much expensive for what you get...

I am really glad I found Fair Trade Tobacco !
Thank you gents.

Smokin Harley

I usually can tell when its time for a cigar...like an indian looking at the suns position in the sky, you just know.

Status
Not open for further replies.