Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cigars/tobacco losing flavor without oils

Jb00

I apologize if this is in the wrong thread, but I had to ask this question. I’m simply asking out of curiosity. As a 23 year old, the information out there in brick and mortar shops seems somewhat confusing and anecdotal.

I Have read in quite a few different places that storing cigars improperly will destroy them because the oils in the tobacco dry up, but I have also read that tobacco such as that for use in pipes is usually stored very dry.

How does the dryness affect some flavors and not other?

Have any of you tried to smoke a rehydrated cigar?

I have rehydrates bone dry McClelland tobacco from 2017 and the Only difference I tasted was the extra aging.

I know that the cracking of a dry wrapper would likely kill any chance of a good burn.

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!

ChinaVoodoo

Others will have better explanations about what happens via long term storage, but number 1 is that we have come to the consensus via experiment that if there are oils in tobacco, that the levels are so miniscule that never ever has any cigar had even enough oil to leave a discolouration on paper, and that what we perceive to be oil is in fact, not oil, but likely something to do with surface texture and tension, and our complicated eyesight.

So from the start, what you perceived with skepticism, as anecdotal, is already responsible for misinformation at the basis of its very premise.