Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Clean your shredder!

Veg oil will gum up over time, olive oil will go rancid. I had to disassemble a commercial meat slicer down to the switches because the previous owner used veg oil spray to lubricate it: the carriage couldn't be moved when I bought it because of all the gummed up oil. The manufacturer said don't use veg oils under any circumstances, and recommended USP food grade mineral oil. No issues since. Available cheaply everywhere, and good for straight razors, shredders, knives and other things
Thanks this is really helpful! I’m not much of a hands on machine kinda gal so all this is an extra steep learning curve but so far so good.
Bonus, I can now say I’ve dissembled and reassembled a machine lol

pottsS

I had a bunch of used blades(from my old shredder...it uses disposable utility knife blades) so I tried a bunch of the suggestions. They all work, at least to some degree...but Tullis is right about the veg oil...some of my used blades I had already cleaned, sharpened and oiled with veg oil...they were more gunked up than the blades I through back in the box without doing a thing!
Anyways, rubbing alcohol does the least as far as cleaning...but getting rid of the water is just as important so I see the value in it(I might use gas line antifreeze instead). Vinegar did the best, followed by dawn+water. Mineral oil did very well...almost as good and no worries about corrosion. I tried Finish...it was no better than water...but if I use Dawn and water, I'll use the finish for the final rinse (it works so well on my glasses and the pots&pans that for the cost I feel there could be a benefit). I didn't think to use automatic transmission oil...dextron three is great for cleaning some really tough stuff...and lubricating it at the same time...it has more taste than mineral oil, but less than motor oil. After seeing how well mineral oil did, I'm thinking I might just use a little dextron three on my blades before I put my paper shredder away for a few months.

pottsS

Do research the potential toxicity of the assorted automotive mixtures that you mention.

Bob
Yeah...I probably shouldn't even suggest such, on the other hand I'm not convinced there is any such thing as a healthy cigarette. My cutter looks pretty clean and just about any liquid I put on the cutter could potentially loosen just enough stuff to become an issue when the shredder is parked for a few months. I think I'll use just a bit of dry graphite on it when I put it away and when I go to use it again maybe I'll run a paper shredder cleaning sheet through it. These ones say they are non toxic...it seems like an odd mention on sheets destined for a paper shredder.