Whole Leaf Tobacco

Coachmike554 Grow Log 2019 (first time tobacco)

coachmike554

Well I have made the decision to grow my own tobacco this year. I recieved my seeds from seedman a few weeks back and then realized I needed to start working on a grow area. I have a wieneminer dog and he is not friendly to anything I plant in the back yard. So first thing I needed to accomplish was a fence and I just happen to come across allot of pallets to accomplish this task. I then found some scrap plastic boards for a raised bed and was fortunate to have enough to build a 5 x 12 foot bed. Next week I will go pick up 3 cubic yards of compose and fill her up. Should start my seeds next week also. My last chance of frost is March 22nd. So plan on putting plants in ground soon March 25th my first day off after the 22nd. Plus the week prior is spring break and wife wants to take grandkids to universal studios/ Disneyworld that week.
20190127_163900.jpg

coachmike554

I
I'm digging that fence! Any particular reason you topped it like you did?
Being used pallet wood I had allot of pickets that were short or split. So I just added the roof tops to make it look like bird houses :) it added a country feel to it. Plus helped sell the use of pallet wood to the wife. My grandkids love the movie the grench so it also had the look of whoville. I may just have to paint the fence white and have the kids paint the roof different colors :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Great work. Before you dump in the fill for that raised bed, move it so that you will have access to all sides. That will enable you to easily manage 16 full-size tobacco plants (or a lot more Orientals) in that bed.

Bob

coachmike554

1548980579289.png

Here is the layout idea stolen from your grow log Bob :)

The picture doesn't show the spacing but there is a two foot walk area around the whole raised garden bed.

I live in Florida I can walk to the bay from my house its about a mile walk to the bay from my front door. 1/4 mile walk through the subdivision then you hit the swamp for the next 3/4 mile ending on the sandy shores of the bay/river juction. with very sandy soil on my property i attempted to grow a vegetable garden in my natural soil several years ago and failed. So i have reverted to the raised bed set up and have had great success with the raised bed growing vegetables. So now i will try my hand at tobacco :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That should work well. I might add that you shouldn't be fooled by my detailed measurements. Other than the size of the bed itself, I guestimate everything else. I use my eyeball and a trowel to mark a line at the half-way point of the bed's length, I divide those halves in half, then just dig the staggered holes for the transplants also by eyeball. I've done it that way for years. Each plant ends up with 3.75 square feet of surface, give or take.

When all of the plants in a particular bed are medium height tobacco, as yours are, it seems to make no difference as to their arrangement with regard to the sun angle. If there are substantially different height plants in the same bed (e.g. ~3 ft. or 12 ft. tall), then I do position the tallest to the north, shortest to the south. In Florida, that should matter even less than in Virginia.

If you enter a general location into your profile, then other members may be better able to answer growing questions that come up as the season progresses.

Bob

GreenDragon

Hi Mike! Good luck with your first grow! A native Floridian here, currently living in Texas. I've always loved the Pensacola area.

What type of tobacco are you going to grow? Cig/Pipe or Cigar? What are your plans for curing/fermenting?

Tobacco is a very forgiving plant and easy to grow, and should do well in your area. Just keep a lookout for the infamous tobacco hornworm!

coachmike554

20190218_082455.jpg
I have germination on 3 types of tobacco.
Corillo 98
Little Dutch
Pennsylvania Red

The other seeds I had were purchased in 2016 and sat in my workshop since then. They failed to germinate. ( not to self work on better seed storage).

Anyway I order more seeds from sustainable seeds. :) a few varieties will be behind the others by 2 weeks.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You're looking good.

Stubborn tobacco seed may take up to 3 weeks to germinate. In my hands, if seed has not germinated at day 15, it has not ever gone on to germinate later.

The most important variable in tobacco seed storage that influences the length of viability is assuring low humidity. If you occasionally have a few consecutive days with very low humidity, then seal the seed in double Ziplocks, and refrigerate. Even better is to purchase a few packets of desiccant, and include one in the outer bag of stored seed. The low temp helps, but in tests in electricity-free parts of India, getting and keeping the seed dry allowed viability to extend beyond 20 years, without refrigeration. [Serious deep freeze will get you 40 years.]

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. The drybox is the way to go. And with a desiccant tossed in. I would also group the packets into a few separate Ziplocks.

My preference is to store tobacco seed in a small refrigerator, rather than a freezer. My reason for this is that I have to remove the container, and set it out on the counter to approach room temperature before opening it. If the container is opened while cold, it acts as a moisture pump, and draws condensation into the container and onto the surfaces of the packets themselves. When the container is closer to room temp, the condensation is less of an issue.

Bob

GreenDragon

Never store seeds in a residential freezer (ie ones with automatic defrost cycles - very bad for long term viability). Refrigerator or chest type freezers are fine.

+1 to Bob. Keeping the seeds as dry as possible is the most important factor for storage. I keep my seeds in mason jars in a cool dark closet.

coachmike554

I have germination on my new seeds.
African Red
Florida Sumatra
Broadleaf

Will start germination tonight of the new seeds.
Piloto Cubano
Corojo 99

Also weather has turned beautiful for the next several weeks. Moved all my plants vegtibales and tobacco out of house into work shop window. Longer sun hours. No heating mat. Next 10 days looks like 70+ degrees ( Florida freezing two nights ago) 20190308_181000.jpg1552093801850-992745178.jpg1552093832288-1806878872.jpg20190308_180953.jpg