Whole Leaf Tobacco

Coblake's Grow Log 2019

Coblake

This is my first attempt at growing tobacco. These plants are in 3" pots. I'm wondering if I should just set them out in the garden now?
Just in the little time I've been reading here, I came across the cutting technique to prevent over crowding and promote root growth. Would anyone suggest that for these?
Or, should I just wait until they are a bit larger to set in the garden?
These are Helena, a type of Virginia Gold. Thanks for any suggestions.15602922865823392659057908381091.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would go ahead and set out the big ones (the little ones look pretty vulnerable). The clock is ticking, even in Georgia. With them in 3" pots, there is less need for clipping.

Bob

EDIT: I'm going to move this into grow blogs, and change the title.
Bob

Coblake

Thanks Bob, that was kinda how I was leaning anyway. Well, now I guess I'll have to keep updating my grow log. Thank you sir.

Coblake

Alright then. I have the first 18 in the ground. I gave them "about two cups of water". Its been raining every day for about 9 days straight. That's an improvement from the previous 30 days, where we had about 1 inch of rain and 10 days of 100° heat straight. I lost all my habaneros (that I set out, still have 5 in buckets).

The row they are planted in is my standard vegetable garden mix. Hilled, compost, lime. The ground cloth went down in February. I had early lettuce in half that row, the other half was unused.

I have about 30 more plants to put down, but I won't get to them until Monday. I work Friday to Sunday, 3 days a week. The rest should be ready by then.

I appreciate any input ya'll may have. Thanks.20190613_163522.jpg