Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco
Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Here, I discuss the physical attributes of Izmir Ozbas, Smyrna #9 and Xanthi Yaka #18A, since I am currently growing these. All three were sourced from the National Plant Germplasm System - GRIN Nicotiana Collection.
  • Izmir-Ozbas: Turkey 1984 GRIN_Pi494157
  • Smyrna No.9: Turkey 1962 GRIN_Pi552414
  • Xanthi Yaka No.18A: Greece 1962 GRIN_Pi552418

İzmir is the Turkish name for the ancient city of Smyrna. So Izmir and Smyrna are two names for the same place, located on the eastern coast of the Aegean Sea. About 230 miles away to the northwest (as the Turkish crow flies), across the Aegean, and up into the Rhodope mountain range, lies the Greek (formerly Ottoman) town of Xanthi.
XanthiToIzmir_Map.jpg

I had some trouble figuring out what the "Ozbas" portion of Izmir Ozbas signified. There is no town or region in western Turkey called Ozbas, though there is a tiny village in the non-tobacco district of south-central Turkey called Ozbas. The word, "ozbas," or more correctly in Turkish orthography, "özbaş," does not appear in any Turkish dictionary that I can locate, though there are Turkish individuals with the surname of Ozbas. However, I did come up with the following:

özbaş
öz = original or true
baş = basis or head

So, İzmir özbaş (Izmir Ozbas) likely indicates an early or "original" Izmir (Smyrna) cultivar.

Solely on the basis of the plant's morphology, Izmir Ozbas is clearly related to Smyrna #9, though a distinctly separate variety. [The ruler shown in the image is 48", rather than a 3' yard stick.]
Garden_20110716_10_IzmirOzbas_Smyrna9_XanthiYaka18A_600.jpg

A quick glance at the two varieties contrasts the larger, smoother, shinier leaf of Smyrna #9 with the smaller, duller, rougher leaf of Izmir Ozbas. Izmir Ozbas is noticeably more pubescent (fuzzy) than Smyrna #9. The Izmir Ozbas leaves are smaller and more rugose (bumpy). Another interesting attribute of Izmir Ozbas is that the normal lateral curvature of the leaf laminae away from the central vein reverses at the leaf margin, with a slight upcurve, creating a small lip. This "lip" is not present on Smyrna #9.
Garden_20110716B_01_IzmirOzbas_leafDetail_600.jpg

Despite Izmir Ozbas' greater pubescence, the leaf surface is less sticky to touch than is that of Smyrna #9. This is surprising, since the glands that secrete the sticky compounds are located in the hairs.

If we look at the leaf attachment to the stalk, and the "ruffle" that extends from the leaf laminae onto the sides of the stalk, further differences are evident. The ruffle of the Izmir Ozbas is relatively flat and smoothly tapered, and extends straight down the stalk on either side of the leaf base. It appears to form a 90º angle from one side of the ruffle to the other. In contrast, the ruffle of Smyrna #9 tends to be rippled, uneven, and somewhat less defined in its angle.
Garden_20110716B_05_Smyrna9_leafDetail_300.jpg

If we add a comparison of Izmir Ozbas (from western Turkey) with Xanthi Yaka #18A , also known as Yenidje leaf, (from what is now Greece) the two are far more similar in morphology than Izmir Ozbas is to Smyrna #9. Xanthi Yaka (distinguished from Xanthi Djebel, which is grown at higher elevations in the Rhodope mountain range above the town of Xanthi) lacks the upturned rim on the leaves, and is less pubescent than Izmir Ozbas, but it is of similar size and equally rugose. Xanthi Yaka #18A's ruffle is less well defined than that of Izmir Ozbas.
Garden_20110716B_03_XanthiYaka18A_leafDetail_300.jpg

I would venture to suggest that the two were originally from the same seed, and that their distinctive differences in the cured and fermented leaf a hundred years ago were originally determined by differences in soil, climate and fertilization practices. As a larger tobacco industry developed about the region of Izmir, cultivars such as Smyrna #9 were developed in the twentieth century to enhance various preferred production attributes.

Of the three varieties discussed, the Xanthi Yaka 18A seems to be the most primitive, or least "enhanced."

Samsun, Bafra, Trebizon, and a few other Orientals comprise a separate class, as does Shirazi, and will be discussed in a separate thread.

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Interesting observations. They both have very similar characteristics as the Kavala I grew last year. In my ignorance, I discounted the variety due to its size (or lack thereof). It had the same upturned "lip" and almost identical looking leaves. After the plant was cut off at the base, it was hung in the curing shed. The last time I looked at it, it was still green. Finding a resolve to this trait might have been the origin of Sun curing and/or Latakia as the build up of smoke residue would mask the real color of the leaf.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Kavalla (or Cavalla or Kavala) is the major sea port nearest Xanthi.
XanthiToIzmir_Map_Kavalla_400.jpg

I'll know this year if the unique qualities of the smaller Oriental varieties carry over to fertile, American soil. If they don't, then it's just a poor producer. If they mostly do, then it may be worth the extra effort of planting more densely, and handling a larger number of tiny leaves. My guess is that it's somewhere in between.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
These are the same plants shown above, but about 3 weeks later.
Garden_20110805_05_IzmirOzbas_Smyrna9_XanthiYaka18A_400_tall.jpg

I expect the Smyrna #9 to continiue growing taller for a bit. Its leaf count is 27. Placing the bud bags on the Smyrna #9 required a step ladder. Adjusting and retying the bags is difficult without the ladder.

The mud lugs have been primed, carefully brushed clean, and hung in the shed. Once they yellow, then I will sun cure them.
Bob

Grundle

I really enjoyed reading this. Do you have any follow up to this article? I am interested to find out if the Oriental qualities carried over to American soil. I especially enjoyed the research and the etymological discussion.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The most significant follow up is the good news that the distinctive aromas and qualities of these fine tobaccos seem to be inherent in the strain, and are well preserved in my tobacco beds in southwest Virginia.

Xanthi-Yaka possesses a distinctive aroma that is clearly recognizable in my cured and kilned leaf. I have smoked very little of it, choosing to let it age for at least a year more. Inherently, Xanthi-Yaka does not burn well. It must be blended with better burning tobaccos to shine.

The Izmir Ozbas offers a less delicate aroma than Xanthi Yaka. It kilns to a non-sweet, dry tasting, distinctively "Turkish" leaf. In another thread, I reviewed its use as a puro cigar. (http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?669-Rare-Turkish-Ootz-Cigar) I've smoked nearly all of it.

Smyrna #9 was the most productive, by weight and by leaf size, of the three. Although it makes a mild, tasty, definitely "Turkish" tobacco, it did not capture my heart like the Xanthi-Yaka.

A pipe blend that shows off the Yenidje aroma of Xanthi-Yaka is the following:
  • Flue-cured bright Virginia - 5 parts
  • Pressure-cured Perique - 3 parts
  • Dark-fired tobacco (preferably Latakia) - 4 parts
  • Izmir Ozbas or Smyrna - 2 parts
  • Xanthi Yaka - 2 parts

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'll know this year if the unique qualities of the smaller Oriental varieties carry over to fertile, American soil.

Bob, How will you know this? I thought that when GRIN obtained seed it farmed out to regional growers here in the U.S. So, if you are growing something like Xanthi Yaka and obtained the seed from GRIN, it would already have seen quite a few generations of growing on American soil. I am looking forward to growing the seed I received from our Egyptian friend Hakamo0o. His seed came straight from Lebanon so this year's grow will be as close to pure Turkish as possible.
Randy B

Grundle

What a great review! I am totally committed to trying out some Turkish strains next year. When I got into this hobby I thought tobacco was tobacco and I would just have to "grow some". I should have known it is just as expansive as growing grape.

I find it funny to see a discussion on terroir with respect to tobacco. Inevitably the taste will always be different based on the location, since the weather and more importantly the nutrients supplied to the plant will be different. I feel like Bob has answered the question of whether or not the plant will still preserve its uniqueness that makes it desireable to smoke regardless of its planting situation.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I feel like Bob has answered the question of whether or not the plant will still preserve its uniqueness that makes it desireable to smoke regardless of its planting situation.

Why do you say that? I think the only way to answer that would be to import some Turkish tobacco and seed. Grow the seed for a few generations and compare the characteristics (and the smoke) to the original leaf.
People often say that tobacco adapts to where it grows. I don't really believe that. I think if you grow Bursa in TN, PA, CA and NM it will all taste the same. But what are the effects 10 years later? I don't know. I have never tasted Black Sea Samsum-Maden imported directly from the Maden region. I have grown it but I am not able to compare it to the original

Grundle

Why do you say that?

I say this because it is not possible to get "exactness" so you must shoot for an approximation. You can't even get the same exact taste from one crop to another, so I don't think it is a fair metric to say "it taste exactly the same". A better metric is to determine whether or not it has the distinctive qualities that you expect from a turkish, or even a particular variety of turkish.

I hope this makes sense.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
My only source of knowledge about the "authentic" taste of various Turkish varietals is from purchasing specific varietal blending tobaccos and pre-blended English-style pipe tobaccos over the past 40 years. (Once upon a time, Balkan Sobranie White offered the unique taste of "Yenidje.") Today, you can buy two different blends containing "Yenidje" leaf from McClellan, and identify the specific aroma of the Xanthi Yaka. Cornell & Diehl's "Turkish" blending tobacco is an Izmir (Smyrna) type. McClellan has other blends of specific Turkish varietals.

The blends are actually meaningful in tasting how a specific new ingredient alters the taste and aroma of the background blend, since some of the Turkish varietals burn poorly when smoked pure.

Bob

driftinmark

mcclellen actually has new stuff out, its called grand orientals, supposedly it comes with a leaf on top of the mixture......

http://pipesandcigars.com/mcgrortito.html

hope i can post this here

Bob, I gotta say this, you out of anybody has prolly done the most to distinguish these different types of leaf out of anywhere on the net ..........

Mark

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The mud lugs have been primed, carefully brushed clean, and hung in the shed. Once they yellow, then I will sun cure them.
Bob

Bob, I have a barrel full of clean rain water. Do you see any harm in dipping the leaves to clean them and then hanging to color cure?

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
John,
I'm not sure what to say about dipping the leaves in water. I have sometimes hosed the crud off my mud lugs, then hung them. There is a lot of talk about avoiding dew when harvesting. I think that's important when handling large quantities that will go directly to the shed. But with a small number of individual leaves, I believe you can briefly rinse them, so long as you are careful to allow the surface to dry thoroughly before they are closely hung.

While there is nicotine on the surface of the leaf, most of it is within the leaf tissue, and will not be reduced unless the leaf is subject to prolonged soaking. Green leaf seems to be less subject to damage from water than yellow-ripe leaf. (Green leaves somehow manage to survive rain showers just fine.)

Bob

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Washing is a waste of time, and invites mold if hung damp.
90% of the crud/dirt will fall off just hanging to cure & dry, and the rest when handling to process.
Don't try to brush off the dirt either, will bruise the plant cells and produce ugly leaf.

Tom_in_TN

The 10% of the dirt that remains on the leaf contributes an 'earthy' taste. I've read many cigar reviews that describe that taste. I have been known to spray the crud/dirt off leaves, dry 'em out and hang them to cure. They do lose the resin on the leaf. I have also rinsed aphids, other crud/dirt off leaves well before priming them and the resin come back. That's the best way IF the leaves need it because it is a PIA to wash leaves. Based on growing the Xanthi and Izmir this year, the leaves are very fragile. Will not be washing these leaves,will just cure the dirty ones along with the cleaner ones.

Bob, knowing the "authentic" taste of various Turkish varietals is a good thing to know and it appears you bought a lot of high quality tobacco to learn how they taste. Looking forward to curing my leaf and will need help to determine if they have the "authentic" taste.

Randy B, you are growing the 'hybrid' seed that came from our Egyptian friend Hakamo0o. His seed came straight from Lebanon so this year's grow will be as close to pure Turkish as possible. His plants (in growing pots on his balcony) looked very healthy. When planted in the dirt do they grow tall like Bursa? Let us know how well it grows (height and all that jazz) and taste.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Tom, I'll have to go thru my notes because I grew 17 varieties this year but I can say this about the "Lebanese" seeds- the field dryed mud lugs tasted just like BSS-Maden. They did not grow as tall as Bursa but they were a little taller than Xanthi Yaka. I was thinking the same thing about it being as close to a pure Turkish variety as possible. I plan to keep growing it for a few years to see if it changes in anyway.
Randy B

istanbulin

Founding Member
I can definitely say there is no Smyrna #9 tobacco production in Turkey . I've heard it first in GRIN, I've never seen it before.

For an answer for comparing Turkish grown oriental tobaccos and American grown oriental tobaccos. Growing techniques and climate are directly effect the quality (flavor, sweetnes, etc...) Oriental tobacco farming is not industrial as American tobacco farming.There is limited irrigation, mostly no fertilization. They are gifts from the mother nature.

Climate has a big diversity in here. For example coastal north-eastern Turkey has a sub-tropical also tropical climate e.g. Trabzon, Rize. In this region 200.000 tons tea is harveted each year. There are also different strains (not oriental) here which can be used for cigar blends. On the other hand Central Turkey e.g. Konya has an hard inland climate, you can grow only grains.

Achiving optimum desired quality may be possible only with having a micro climate where they are cultivated. When you decide to grow a different strain search the climate where it's cultivated. Otherwise plant will adapt your climate and try its best but genetic changes won't occur easily.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I am going to try to grow Izmir and BSS-Maden the traditional Turkish way. Spacing per Emre's Density Planting chart. No topping, irrigation or fertilizer. I also want to sun cure. Is there anything I may be missing in my Turkish grow plan? It sounds like i just plant them close together and let Mother Nature do the rest. Right or wrong? Who wants to compare the old way with the new? Do a leaf sample swap?

I will need to build a sun curing frame, correct? What, where, why, when and how? I was thinking about a frame like two screen doors hinged together, with the leaf sandwiched inside. Each side will get a half day of sun by turning it over once a day. Will this hold enough leaf? Will they get enough sun? Will this work? Certainly air flow should not be an issue. Share your ideas.
Wallace

istanbulin

Founding Member
Building a sun curing equipment is easy but procedure itself is really very tricky. I think it's time to start a new thread on sun-curing part of the forum so we may discuss it in detail there.

Status
Not open for further replies.