Whole Leaf Tobacco

CT Shade vs Broadleaf

eebenz

Hi!

I read from northwoodseeds page that CT Shade have little to no suckering. Does that same apply to the CT Broadleaf? If not, is there some other cigar wrapper variety which doesn't make suckers and can be stalk air cured (whole plant hanged)?

Also, what is the difference between wrapper and binder strains? Why are different strains used for them?

-eebenz

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I would suggest this page in the WLT Wiki: https://wholeleaftobacco.com/wiki/tobacco-jargon

CT Shade does not do very well when sun-grown. It really does need to be grown beneath shade cloth. Suckering of all varieties will vary by the growing season and weather conditions, when you top it, etc. I suggest that you just expect to remove suckers from whatever you grow. It's a minor chore to assure larger leaf.

My own growing now ignores the filler/wrapper/binder market classes. Most cigar varieties will produce at least some wrapper grade leaves. I get a high percentage of wrapper quality leaf from Corojo 99 (which I stalk-harvest, and air-cure on the stalk). Northwood Seeds does have it, even if not listed. For a thinner wrapper (when sun-grown), I suggest Besuki (listed as Java Besuki).

Having said that, nearly every tobacco cigar variety will provide wrapper grade leaves from the lower half of the stalk, and many yield fabulous, very dark wrappers from the upper leaf.

Wrapper vs. binder: A thick binder matched with a thick wrapper often does not burn well. Other than that consideration, just ignore the difference.

Bob