• Dear Guest,

We've been using a forum format called vBulletin for over seven years and the program is no longer being developed, so that means no more updates or security patches. vBulletin has never been compatible with search engine optimization and it does not support the multitude of various devices most people use to access the internet, so it's time to say goodbye to vBulletin.

For these reasons we have moved our forum to a new format that will support and encourage growth for the next generation of grower and DIY tobacco users.

So please post any issues you're having with using the new site.

As usual, you may login with your old password.

Whole Leaf Tobacco

Curing Shade leaf in Flue barns

Priming is around the corner. And I need some idea of staging cure. As a flue grower, I rush cure, so I know wrapper is low and slow. But I read about curing fires in barns and I sure gotta wonder which way to go. My knee jerk reaction is to load the barn and push some air maybe start 100F advance up to 120, 1 degree an hour., keeping humidity up to prevent green set, then once I start to see some yellow color, start drying the air out, being careful to stay under 130 not to set color golden. This is where flue would differ, I would set 135 til I had dry Lamina (leaf), and drive to 180 F 2 to 3 degrees an hour to stem dry. So the question is, I think I know if I keep the air to it and the temperature in the 120s Ill get the color. But I assume if I drive up to stem cure Ill be "Kilning." Sure need some info on how not to rush it, and or ruin flavor profile. I don't really have open barns, only closed in flue barns to work with. Stick barns are pretty close, but not really alot of air flow. I plan to rack in bulk barns and just space it out. Issue there is I have to keep fan running constantly, so I have to balance power with getting it done as soon as reasonable. Any opinions?