Whole Leaf Tobacco

Davidoff Flake Medallions Clone?

Private1

Hi All,

I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I've read the FAQ's and I'm not expecting to get bang on the same as the original, but I'd like to give it a go!

Looking at the blend it seems fairly simple:

*Black Cavendish
*Perique
*Virginia

Looking at one of the coins, I can see that the Cavendish makes up the smallest amount of the product.

I'm new to this, but I'm guessing I could do something along the lines of:

60% Virginia (Air / Sun cured, don't ask :p)
20% Perique (Same Leaf just Periqued)
10% Cavendish (Same leaf, pressure cooked method)

Not going to bother cutting it like the original, pretty happy with just plain old ribbon cut.

Any thoughts from the team?

Charly

It's all about trying and testing.
The blend you propose could work, but one thing : perique made with Virginia leaves will not be like traditionnal «perique» (I have made some and it's very light, not very alkaline or strong). You should try to make perique from burley, or cigar strain.

tullius

You're going to want to do some type of pressing. DFM is very close to or the same as PS luxury bullseye flake, made by the same factory using the same machines. Here's a video:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
In the absence of mass production machines, just roll a tight, solid, fat cigar of the cased whole-leaf blend (and even include a contrasting bullseye, if you like). Then slice it into coins. It can be sliced with any old tuck cutter or cigar guillotine. Without an adherent casing of some sort, the slices will partially crumble into perfectly smokable tobacco, but with an adherent casing, the slices can be laid out and further dried.

Bob

Costard

Without an adherent casing of some sort, the slices will partially crumble into perfectly smokable tobacco, but with an adherent casing, the slices can be laid out and further dried.
Do you think a casing of sugar, water (one to one) along with a drop of apple cider vinegar work well enough to keep the coins together?

tullius

Without an adherent casing of some sort, the slices will partially crumble into perfectly smokable tobacco
My escudo copy coins stayed together using only distilled water to achieve med-high case, and enough stout pressure, for long enough. Even some pro coins straw hat a little at the edges.

Do you think a casing of sugar, water (one to one) along with a drop of apple cider vinegar work well enough to keep the coins together?
Only one way to find out! Watch out for mold. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

tullius

Not going to bother cutting it like the original, pretty happy with just plain old ribbon cut.

Any thoughts from the team?
*meant to include this as an edit, but time annoyingly expired*

I did a ribbon cut first, then the press/coin. Again, this is escudo type blend so no cav. The ribbon is good but not close or married/consistent, and the burn is way different. Still have plenty left. The press/coin was much more on target, and there is none left.