Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traveling Piper

Today, I measured and marked out my new garden bed for next season (pink area below). I had intended to toast the area with a garden torch, but was out of propane, so I brought out the glyphosate spray, and marked the margins for now.

Garden_Layout2018_final.jpg

I also plan to abandon the western (right hand) half of the bed that grew Long Red during the 2018 season. The eastern half did fine, while the plants in the western half were runted by the pine roots.

I haven't decided what varieties I'll grow in 2019. [But doesn't this post make it look like I'm doing something besides sitting on my butt, enjoying that the harvest is over?]

Bob

Bob,
Approximately how far from this pine is your "Long Red" patch that was stunted? Also, how big is the tree?
Thanks,
Clark

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The trunk is ~25 to 30 feet from the closest corner of the affected bed. I estimate the height at 50 to 60 feet. The trunk's diameter is about 20 to 24 inches in diameter at 5-feet above the ground. Having no neighboring trees, the spread of the pine's canopy reaches 25 or more feet from the trunk. The mid-summer shade from the tree is nearly identical over the normal corner of the bed vs the runted corner of the bed. So this seems to be entirely a matter of root intrusion.

Bob

Traveling Piper

The trunk is ~25 to 30 feet from the closest corner of the affected bed. I estimate the height at 50 to 60 feet. The trunk's diameter is about 20 to 24 inches in diameter at 5-feet above the ground. Having no neighboring trees, the spread of the pine's canopy reaches 25 or more feet from the trunk. The mid-summer shade from the tree is nearly identical over the normal corner of the bed vs the runted corner of the bed. So this seems to be entirely a matter of root intrusion.

Bob

Thanks, Bob.
I will steer clear of them as best I can. Will just have to work with em'.
The Longleaf is something to be cherished.

Status
Not open for further replies.