Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moth

Try the Throttlestop app, explained and referenced here.

ThrottleStop has a checkbox called "BD PROCHOT" which causes the CPU core voltage and multiplier to reset to normal when disabled. Apparently this is a "2 way signal path to the CPU. It allows other components in a laptop like the motherboard or GPU to send a signal to the CPU which tricks the CPU into thinking it is too hot", confirming that the way this "feature" is implemented by the BIOS is through sending this signal to the CPU when an unknown AC adapter is detected

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Tomatoes in Late October

Garden20191020_4810_wetTomatoes06_700.jpg

Garden20191020_4809_wetTomatoes05_aphid_700.jpg

Tiny tomatoes, giant aphid.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
It's Halloween. How else can I explain this?

This was going to be my "healthy" meal for October. I began to fry some slices of firm tofu in a pan with sesame oil. I set my tamari out on the counter. I sprinkled some garlic powder onto the sliced tofu. Then I opened my always closed spice tin of ground ginger powder. As I sprinkled the golden ginger powder onto the white tofu, out came a bunch of tiny dark things.

I poured some of the powdered ginger onto a white paper towel, and examined it with a bright light and a small magnifying lens. Bugs! There were tiny bugs that look just like tobacco beetles mixed into my always closed tin of ginger.

Bacon and waffles for dinner!

Bob

Charly

I hope you fried all the beetles in hot ginger oil ! You don't want them to eat your tobacco !

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Whew! I just got back from buying milk and bread. (Cookies and chips may also have been involved.) @ChinaVoodoo is heartlessly sending his Edmonton weather to me. Below is an upper-level wind map predicted for tomorrow afternoon. I plugged in my pump-house heater today, for the first time this winter.

AB_weatherIn_VA20191108.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Our meteorologist referred to this as an Alberta Clipper.
"An Alberta clipper, also known as a Canadian clipper, is a fast moving low pressure area weather system which generally affects the central provinces of Canada and parts of the Upper Midwest, Great Lakes, and New England, precipitating a sudden temperature drop and sharp winds."
[Wikipedia]

If you can't trust the weather man, then who can you trust?

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I plugged in my pump-house heater today, for the first time this winter.
Sure glad I did that. My power went out at 6 am this morning. I watched as the remote for the pump house slowly dipped down to 35°F. Power came back on at 3 pm, which is a good thing, since we drop down into the teens tonight, and it would have destroyed my pump and pressure tank and the pipes in the house. And of course, I would have needed enough blankets to crush the life out of a human body.

And it wasn't even the gusty wind that caused the power outage. It was some fool who drove into two...count them, two...consecutive power poles a 10th of a mile from my house. The poles have been released from the hospital.

Bob

GreenDragon

Yo Bro! Hold my beer while I put the dog behind the wheel. Gonna be some awesome video. Chicks love dog vid-(Bang!) Dang it Ruger, ya gotta stay between the lines! Try again... (Bang!) This ain't working, let's go get the cat.

R-taylor

Plans for my 2019 Garden

I find that it is once again time to begin carving garden plans in stone.

Garden_Layout2019_500.jpg

That's 6 varieties (only one of which is new, and one is an oldie), for a total of about 130 plants. ["Fallow" means that the grower needs less work and more rest.]

The Trabzon is absolutely, definitely the final and last new Oriental that I will ever trial-plant. (I've grown twenty-two different Oriental varieties, and this has naturally got to stop! Trabzon will be #23.) Of all those that I've grown, I have been delighted with (in no particular order):
  • Xanthi-Yaka
  • Izmir Osbas
  • Samsun
  • Samsun-Maden
  • Bafra
  • Prilep 66-9/7
  • Düzce
  • Prancak N-1 (actually an Indonesian Prancak cross with Izmir)
  • Smyrna #9
So, as you can see, even the short list of favorite Orientals leaves too many to grow any of them very frequently. My sole use for Orientals is pipe blending. [My pipes are generally fallow during the warmer months.] I've been happiest with stalk-cutting and sun-curing on the stalk, followed by kilning.

My cigar picks are distilling to Corojo 99, Olor, Piloto Cubano, Vuelta Abajo. My use of Long Red, PA Red, Dutch Ohio and Little Dutch is so much slower than for the Caribbean types, that they fade to only alternate years. Likewise, my consumption of flue-cured warrants a small grow in alternate years.

Little Yellow, on track for 2019, is a beautiful, thick-leafed, sticky, though light-colored heirloom Dark-Air variety. I haven't grown it for 6 or 7 years.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Plants from which seed will be collected are provided with an insect barrier bag before the first blossom opens.

You may wish to read the FAQ for new growers (link in the menu bar).

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.