Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I had considered doing that for the Grow Your Own Cigars book, but realized that it would have doubled the length of the whole book, yet be of little interest to most readers.

You can read about a bunch of them in all of my old grow logs. I have grown something over 100 varieties. I have seed for probably 400 or 500 varieties (leftovers from many sources). As Don and I realized a few years back, it gets to be a full time job trying to manage, describe, characterize and refresh that many varieties. If I ever get bored, I'll think about growing out some of the mystery ones, and maybe documenting them. But that would certainly be no time soon.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
This has nothing to do with tobacco or growing anything. Yesterday, I was watching a series of Youtube videos of a group of boys on a street corner in Madagascar performing truly impressive acapella music. It's how they earn donations from tourists. The boys are absolutely untrained in formal music. Today, it dawned on me that one of them is wearing a Lakers jersey (23, for LeBron James). This is Madagascar! It's a testament to the worldwide cultural power of professional sports.

All the percussion sounds in this particular performance are created by the boys themselves, without instruments.

[If you click the youtube link, you'll get to a long list of their music.]

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
2020 0202 or is it 0202 2020?

Sorry guys. Blacksburg Bob (a groundhog-free substitute) stepped out from under his palindrome today, and saw his shadow. So...six more weeks of winter! (Our temps here in southwest Virginia will be close to 70°F tomorrow.)

Bob

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200211_4938_drivewayPuddle_600.jpg

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Garden20200220_4940_germinationCups_soaking_600.jpg

I rummaged through the dark corners of my back porch, and located 7 plastic 8 ounce Ball freezer jars that I used for tobacco seed germination. Their end-of-season routine consisted of my dumping out the soil mix. So these are in need of their annual bath. After soaking and scrubbing and rinsing, I'll mist them with Clorox, then rinse again and dry, prior to use. It turns out that those clever, threaded lids are the most difficult to properly clean.

Next up will be making 14 little, Tyvek labels to tape onto both the jars and their respective lids.

Bob

ciennepi

You are starting strong for the new grow season.(y) This year do you plan to sow early than the past year?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm actually aiming to transplant in mid to late May, so I have several weeks to gradually arrange things, before starting germination. I have purchased my starting mix components, but not yet mixed them. I purchased a large supply of trays and inserts a few years ago, and still have plenty of them remaining unused. I've found that leaving everything to be done all at once encourages me to procrastinate further. (My shed is still completely filled with my 2019 grow. We'll call that bit of laziness "aging".)

I also have tomato seed and Chinese eggplant seed that will need to be started at about the same time.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Does tobacco like the same soil temps as tomatoes
¯\_(֎¿֍)_/¯

Peppers seem distinctive among solanaceous veggies for their preference for warm soil temps. I've never given tobacco much thought. If the weather has looked to be frost-free, then I've planted. There is no question that tobacco, like tomatoes, grows more robustly in warmer soil.

Bob

ChinaVoodoo

Does tobacco like the same soil temps as tomatoes or the slightly warmer soil for peppers?
I would say it's about the same as tomatoes. I find it easier to grow tobacco than tomatoes in my climate, and I have never had success growing peppers. I make up for it by growing a lot of plants. My tomato plants are on average 6 to 8 times the size of my peppers and I only get between one or two softball sized or six to eight ping-pong to tennis ball sized peppers per plant depending on the year and variety. They taste great green, but almost never ripen. I think I've had two red bell peppers in my life.

ChinaVoodoo

My father in law has great success with peppers. He has them in the best part of his yard next to the heat reflecting off his house.

tullius

hot peppers like heat. the dryer and hotter it is later on, the spicier they are. give them enough heat sun & moisture early on, and then withold the moisture, they will produce prolifically

my brother had his in a big terraced bed in full sun on the side of a hill that got a lot of radiated baking sun last year: bonanza crop. banana peps had the heat of extra hot japs, and so many we couldn't use or can them all.

if you stunt the growth of hot peppers late, they get extra hot.

CobGuy

hot peppers like heat. the dryer and hotter it is later on, the spicier they are. give them enough heat sun & moisture early on, and then withold the moisture, they will produce prolifically
if you stunt the growth of hot peppers late, they get extra hot.

Yes sir! We grew some insanely hot Thai Chili and Habanero Peppers a few years ago.
Also, anytime you hear about New Mexico having a hot, dry season it's time to load up on the Hatch Chile Peppers from there.

~Darin

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid that chili peppers of any kind, including mild bell peppers, are unkind to my codger insides. So, after decades of growing them, I no longer grow or use any peppers.

Bob

MrMotion

Should have known you'd start your 2020 Grow Log on Jan 1. As usual, I will be an avid viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.