Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Today, I inspected the 3 Olor sucker stalks that have been curing in the shed. The first to go in, because it spontaneously snapped off its stalk, appears to be curing normally. The two later ones showed better signs of maturation when I cut and hung them about two weeks ago. Despite generally humid weather, and a shed that is filled with properly curing tobacco, all the stalks of which are still green, the lower leaf on the two later sucker stalks is drying green. They are likely to be garbage. I'll allow them to continue to hang there.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yay! Clock change. We go from Daylight "Savings" Time to Actual Time. It's like science fiction. Suddenly daylight duration changes by an hour. It's magic. I have 5 clocks that have to be changed manually. (Actually, one of them is a clock-radio that automatically changes itself. Unfortunately, it is so old that it hasn't yet gotten the memo that the date for switching has changed since its manufacture. So it spontaneously changes to the wrong time twice every year. It's the one I look at, bleary eyed, to decide when to wake up each morning.)

After laboriously changing each of those clocks, all of which involve reaching, and one of which includes climbing and reaching, I realized that I had carefully changed each of them in the wrong direction. Silly me. Everybody knows "Spring forward; Fall back". So I again changed (reached, climbed to) each of those clocks a second time, to set them properly.

Since time is now warped by an hour, I will have to stay up an hour later tonight (administering this forum, of course). For the next few months, whenever I see GMT on a weather map, I will have to remember to deduct 5 hours instead of 4, to know my local time. When is the webcam at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon still in daylight? Well, Arizona doesn't do that "Savings" Time thing. So...Eastern, Central, and Mountain time will once again be one hour apart from each other. For now. (When I drove from Virginia to Arizona during summer a couple of years ago, the clocks (my watch and my cell phone) went from Easter Daylight Time to Central Daylight Time to Mountain Daylight Time to Mountain Standard Time, and then in reverse on the return trip. Four time "zones". But when I did the same trip in winter, some years ago, I passed through only three time "zones".

Bob

Oldfella

Yay! Clock change. We go from Daylight "Savings" Time to Actual Time. It's like science fiction. Suddenly daylight duration changes by an hour. It's magic. I have 5 clocks that have to be changed manually. (Actually, one of them is a clock-radio that automatically changes itself. Unfortunately, it is so old that it hasn't yet gotten the memo that the date for switching has changed since its manufacture. So it spontaneously changes to the wrong time twice every year. It's the one I look at, bleary eyed, to decide when to wake up each morning.)

After laboriously changing each of those clocks, all of which involve reaching, and one of which includes climbing and reaching, I realized that I had carefully changed each of them in the wrong direction. Silly me. Everybody knows "Spring forward; Fall back". So I again changed (reached, climbed to) each of those clocks a second time, to set them properly.

Since time is now warped by an hour, I will have to stay up an hour later tonight (administering this forum, of course). For the next few months, whenever I see GMT on a weather map, I will have to remember to deduct 5 hours instead of 4, to know my local time. When is the webcam at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon still in daylight? Well, Arizona doesn't do that "Savings" Time thing. So...Eastern, Central, and Mountain time will once again be one hour apart from each other. For now. (When I drove from Virginia to Arizona during summer a couple of years ago, the clocks (my watch and my cell phone) went from Easter Daylight Time to Central Daylight Time to Mountain Daylight Time to Mountain Standard Time, and then in reverse on the return trip. Four time "zones". But when I did the same trip in winter, some years ago, I passed through only three time "zones".

Bob
Hi Bob, we NZ have just moved the other way. We are now in summer time very complicated. Why can't they leave it alone?
Oldfella

JMorgan

Some hunters here hang the entire, guts still in, carcass for some days before cleaning. Yuck..sounds like Peking Duck.
Here they call them "Flying Carp", in reference to a dark fleshed, bony fish that tastes like swamp mud. Fun to bow hunt carp in spring. The best recipe for native hen, works on Canadian geese. Put a brick in a big pot of water, toss in goose, seasonings and after 3 hours take out the goose, throw it away and eat the brick. Bet you've heard that one being from down under. Hehehe

I have to ask, is there a purpose to waiting days before cleaning?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Why can't they leave it alone?
Oldfella
I am guessing that the everyday folks in many cultures are so accustomed to specific events (store hours, church services, bedtime, news broadcasts, etc.) occurring at a named hour, that it seems easier to keep the posted signs rather than adjust to the seasons. My preference would be a single world time, UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) everywhere. That's what is used for space (i.e. the International Space Station). But it would require at least a generation, and endless debates, before most people would intuitively associate their local events with UTC (same as GMT for now). Since there are bigger fish to fry, it's not worth the crusade.

Bob

Snowblithe

I am guessing that the everyday folks in many cultures are so accustomed to specific events (store hours, church services, bedtime, news broadcasts, etc.) occurring at a named hour, that it seems easier to keep the posted signs rather than adjust to the seasons. My preference would be a single world time, UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) everywhere. That's what is used for space (i.e. the International Space Station). But it would require at least a generation, and endless debates, before most people would intuitively associate their local events with UTC (same as GMT for now). Since there are bigger fish to fry, it's not worth the crusade.

Bob
Would that make today Satunday, or Smunday?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
We all have a predilection for categorical perception. Is it a holiday, a holy day, a weekday or a work day? Is there such a thing as an ordinary, plain vanilla day? There is something deeply symbolic in the act of crossing-off days of the week, and flipping the calendar from one month to the next--or gosh! flipping the calendar from one year to the next. The rotation and orbit of our planet are remarkably predictable, but neither fits well within our categorical assignment of the "passage" of time.

Bob

Snowblithe

Ah sweet disillusionment. Interesting how technical apprehension of circadian and astronomical reality can colour the perception of it. I agree that what we call a day or a week or month, ie, Monday, Ramadan, or Shark Week, are arbitrary, though I think our categories (transcendental, that is) are primordially based on days, seasons and years which are the physical basis for the metaphysical naming of those processes. I would note that it’s a struggle just to mess to with our natural predilection for daily routine by just an hour. ‘Monday’ is an arbitrary category, day-and-night are primordial categories.

Yug

Hello everyone. I like it when it's noon and the sun is at its zenith. I like the night when it is midnight and I can contemplate the stars (if there are no artificial lights). In summary, I like to live with the sun, at its rhythm, and my tobacco seems to appreciate this rhythm too. We don't all have the same rhythm at the same time? No matter, we all know the happiness of noon and midnight. How I love, on the small piece of land where I live, the rhythm of nature, of the seasons, of the sun! My watch? It is well in a drawer when I am lucky enough not to have these constraints that modern life imposes.

Yug

Yes, nature is beautiful and much stronger than all of us. She often shows it to us with her beauties and her whims. If one day, man accepts not to want to dominate her, maybe he will find the simple happiness of living in harmony with her.

Snowblithe

Time itself a categorical construct. We as a species seem to still be stuck on that rhythmic ticking sound.

Bob
I’d say time is categorical (to use the word technically, philosophically) and the clock is the construct. Being requires an existential relation to the experience of time, but not to technical time, the time told by a clock. @Yug described it well above. Or Being=time and time=Being, to paraphrase Heidegger. Or maybe I’m just being overly pedantic…

Status
Not open for further replies.