Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Deluxestogie Grow Log 2023

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
TamarindBob_comparison.jpg
Bob you really rocked that beard - you should grow it back! Who’s with me on this?
That photo is from the bottom of the Grand Canyon, near Phantom Ranch (Christmas 2006). That totally rocking beard is what likely caused nearly every hiker who came near me or passed me during the arduous climb-out, from Indian Garden up to the South Rim, to kindly ask, "Are you okay?" Although I was the last of my hiking companions to finally reach the rim that day, I was okay when the waitress at the Bright Angel Restaurant asked, "Which side dish would you like with that?" I replied, "All of them."

My grandson was born in 2007. At that time, I sported just the mustache that you still see today. While he and, later, his sister were still young, I decided not to alter Pappaw's appearance. Now that they are in their teens, I've grown way too old for this old dog to relearn an old trick. (Large beards are messy, and require fancy napkin work at meals, as well as regular combing and shampooing. A hefty sneeze can become a crisis moment. And once wet, they stay that way for a long, long time, without a hair-dryer.)

Bob

Radagast

It's interesting to me that the garden bed I tilled this afternoon seemed less rewarding an accomplishment than the previous one, even though the weather was not nearly as nice today. I might go till another one in an hour. Maybe it's tilling addiction?

Bob
I think I understand that to mean you find it less challenging. The human body is remarkable isn't it? It's amazing how quickly it can adapt to suit a task or repetitive challenge. I used to have a fitness trainer who was fond of saying "pain is just weakness leaving the body". So it may be that you have no more weakness! Bravo by the way.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Today...today was a day of rest...from the garden. I did 5 loads of laundry. I made a trip to the post office. I cooked a pot of truly wonderful black bean soup. I hoofed out in the bitter wind chills after sunset, to look for that mythical, green comet one last time. No joy. This coming Monday evening (6 Feb), I'll go out just after sunset to look for the Chinese balloon flying at ~65,000 ft. (apparently traveling in the 50 hPa wind layer), hopefully still illuminated by the sun. (That's how we see the International Space Station fly by, though it is 15-20 times higher, and is often visible crossing most of the sky dome, before it loses the sunlight, and blinks out.) The balloon was reportedly sighted over St. Louis this afternoon (3 Feb). I think they're planning to photograph my garden beds. I scientifically selected Monday to look for the Chinese balloon, since there will be minimal cloud cover, though it will likely pass southwest Virginia a day or so before that.

Bob

Joe Swart

I really need to stop whining about the temperature here.
  • "The National Weather Service (NWS) said the icy gusts on Mount Washington in New Hampshire on Friday produced a wind chill of -108F (-77C)."
  • "Temperatures on Mars average about -81 degrees F."
Bob
I heard it was the coldest wind chill ever recorded in the US (including Alaska).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Denali, in Alaska:
"The weather station recorded a temperature of −75.5 °F (−59.7 °C) on December 1, 2003. On the previous day of November 30, 2003, a temperature of −74.4 °F (−59.1 °C) combined with a wind speed of 18.4 miles per hour (29.6 km/h) to produce a North American record windchill of −118.1 °F (−83.4 °C)."

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
ABC News:
"The balloon appeared to be heading toward North Carolina, according to a senior U.S. official familiar with the situation. ABC News confirmed several sightings of the balloon over the state by Saturday morning.
Around 8:40 a.m. ET, the balloon was filmed over Biltmore Park in Asheville.
The balloon continued to move southeastwardly, with sightings over the Hendersonville and Saluda areas, before being captured over the Eagle Lake neighborhood in Charlotte around 10:22 a.m. ET."

I guess my garden isn't good enough.

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
With all the fuss about "maneuverable", and intentional movements, the Chinese balloon is doing what all balloons do. It's just following the wind at its altitude.

BalloonPath.jpg

It might make it Around the World in 80 Days (though it better hurry up a bit). The sighting in Charlotte came about 2 hours after its sighting in St. Louis. That would put Charlotte about 4-5 hours from the Atlantic, at balloon speed.

Bob