Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Desert island blend?

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
I’m realising more and more that I’m a creature of habit.

I love to experiment with blending and appreciate a wide range of tobacco - both commercial and homegrown/whole leaf blends.

however I always come back to the ol trusty favourite. It’s not the necessarily the most flavoursome smoke, but it’s the one which makes me most content.

do any of you have a similar blend that you would happily smoke each day and never waiver? Kinda reminds me of the brand loyalty of codgers of old. Or is it more a genre or a presence of certain component (eg Latakia/dark fired) that makes you feel at home?

d

ChinaVoodoo

I’m realising more and more that I’m a creature of habit.

I love to experiment with blending and appreciate a wide range of tobacco - both commercial and homegrown/whole leaf blends.

however I always come back to the ol trusty favourite. It’s not the necessarily the most flavoursome smoke, but it’s the one which makes me most content.

do any of you have a similar blend that you would happily smoke each day and never waiver? Kinda reminds me of the brand loyalty of codgers of old. Or is it more a genre or a presence of certain component (eg Latakia/dark fired) that makes you feel at home?

d
That is a very good question. If I think about what tobacco I would be able to smoke exclusively, it actually turns out to be one that I never smoke. I feel like it's the first redhead in a long line of broken relationships. MacBaren's Black Ambrosia takes me back to the early days when I only smoked aromatics. It is natural enough to taste like tobacco, nicotine-y enough to be worth smoking, and flavored enough to not get monotonous.

Matthew Evans

I used to smoke Lane bca almost exclusively. Sure, I'd keep a tin of irish flake or 1792 or something similar for when I was feeling like sitting and reading for a bit in a comfortable chair, but mainly it was the cavendish.

Now that I quit smoking cigarettes. . .I'd probably say hh old dark fired, hh bold kentucky, orlik dark strong kentucky, war horse bar or peterson irish flake. Enough flavor and nicotine to keep me happy all day, and I wouldn't get all that bored with one of those.

Cornell and diehl have had a couple of blends that I've liked, but only in their small batch roster, so they never stuck around long enough for me to really get into them as a regular all day affair.

I have a similar thing with coffee. I keep a batch of a nice dark roast for the french press for a nice evening with a book, but my daily coffee is decent, generic, and hits enough of the right buttons to keep me happy. And, coffee is almost all I drink all day. Every day.

Creatures of habit. I think most of us are, even if we don't like to think it.

Davo

Ahi Ka - Well-Known Member
Some heavy hitters there bro! Glad there is another warhorse fan amongst us, I love the stuff.

Through playing around with blending I’m starting to realise I’m drawn to a genre, or more specifically a blending ratio as my ‘desert island’ smoke as opposed to a blend per se - a carryover from commercial blends I guess.

Haunted Bookshop is my go to, or 3 parts burley, 3 parts Virginia, 1 part perique. I love the way the perique interacts with the other leaves to bring out dark choc and almost wild cherry like flavours.

however I’ve noticed that I’m equally satisfied if I switch out the perique for dark fired or for something stoved in Lakeland’s essence to provide a contrast, or even a combination of Latakia/prelip/bright cavendish.

I guess my dessert island is half and half with a bit of something else thrown in