Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

desert_pioneer's first grow blog, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

desert_pioneer

Does anyone know what may be causing individual leaves to become droopy, thin/rubbery to the touch? Also, the leaves are slightly more dark green than before?

desert_pioneer

20200602_222119.jpg20200602_222731.jpg20200602_222842.jpg20200602_222909.jpg20200602_222931.jpg

I think the droopy leaves may not necessarily be darker in color.

My theory is that the droopy leaves are the ones being shaded out. (Most upper leaves seem to be doing fine)

I do not think it is dehydration because the droopy leaves occurred before I cut back on the water. I reduced watering frequency because for some time, the leaves were curling upward, which I think was due to overwatering and too strong lighting, so I cut back on watering and raised the light a bit. Seemed to work, but I mostly trimmed the sections that curled up. Didnt come back (yet).

Knucklehead

Founding Member
They look strong and healthy. If you wanted, you could trim the leaves (haircut) more, by half. Additionally, if you choose, you could pinch off the first rounded seed leaves on the bottom (the ones that broke open the seed shell and were your first set of leaves) and the yellowed bottom ones. I usually do that about this time and when they are ready for transplant I will pinch off the next couple of leaves and bury the plant up to the next set of living leaves. That section of stalk will become root. If a leaf is turning yellow and you know it is just a matter of time before it dies, I go ahead and pinch that one off to prevent the plant from putting energy into trying to repair it. I don’t know if that is true or not as I have no evidence to support it other than it just makes sense to me in some knuckleheaded way. You could also do none of those above as the plants are looking great.

desert_pioneer

The macro photography is lovely. I can't tell which leaves you might be concerned about. That's good. When do you plant to put them into their final locations?

Bob

I may get them a little big before I plant any outside, with the buffer period of hardening. For the plants inside, I'll put them in their final resting place when there's space, so basically around the same time the outside plants move out.

desert_pioneer

They look strong and healthy. If you wanted, you could trim the leaves (haircut) more, by half. Additionally, if you choose, you could pinch off the first rounded seed leaves on the bottom (the ones that broke open the seed shell and were your first set of leaves) and the yellowed bottom ones. I usually do that about this time and when they are ready for transplant I will pinch off the next couple of leaves and bury the plant up to the next set of living leaves. That section of stalk will become root. If a leaf is turning yellow and you know it is just a matter of time before it dies, I go ahead and pinch that one off to prevent the plant from putting energy into trying to repair it. I don’t know if that is true or not as I have no evidence to support it other than it just makes sense to me in some knuckleheaded way. You could also do none of those above as the plants are looking great.

That's good that you think the plants are fine. Those darn yellow leaves are in a tough spot to pinch off in most of those plants though :rolleyes:

desert_pioneer

20200607_135040_HDR.jpg

Hardening off some sunflowers and burleys.

Today'a high is 95 degrees, which is approximately 9-12 degrees more than it is inside. Should I bring them back in in a few hours?

These burleys will be my lab rat plants. I'll probably plant two of them in the dirt (which you might as well call dust) in my backyard, and the third in garden soil that I'll mix into the dirt.

desert_pioneer

View attachment 30972

Hardening off some sunflowers and burleys.

Today'a high is 95 degrees, which is approximately 9-12 degrees more than it is inside. Should I bring them back in in a few hours?

These burleys will be my lab rat plants. I'll probably plant two of them in the dirt (which you might as well call dust) in my backyard, and the third in garden soil that I'll mix into the dirt.

Turns out, i forgot i had 4 burley peat pots, so perhaps I'll do 2 in plain desert dirt and 2 in garden soil/desert dirt

desert_pioneer

View attachment 30994

Thought I'd add an update.

The trays on the ground are the ones being hardened off outside during the day.

Key:
Furthest tray on the chair has some oriental and a plate of gold dollar seedlings

Middle tray on the chair has burleys.

Closest tray on the chair has virginias.

On the left, I bought one eggplant and tomato plant each, and sprouted two canteloupes and ome watermelon just for fun.

On the far tray closer to the ground, I have peat pot shirazis and carrots.
On the nearer tray closer to the ground, I have one peat pot shirazi surrounded by more virginias
The water bottle in between is the result of an impromptu attempt to sprout some YTB.

desert_pioneer

Question:

I had a virginia growing in a bottom half of a soda can. I thought that it was too small of a place for the plant so I carefully cut the can and pulled the whole plant+soil clump out. At the bottom, under the soil, there were long roots growing in a near perfect circle. I wet the bottom half of the cylindrical soil clump and tried to loosen up the soil/roots, and dropped it in a peat pot that had a little bit of soil inside. Within the soil clump, the root system seems to be ok. Is there anything I should be worried about?

desert_pioneer

20200610_135604.jpg

The virginia in question is in the middle, surrounded by burleys on the four corners of the tray. It looks fine currently, but I'm more worried about the long-term for the plant, like whether it will be able to grow to near full height once it's in the dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.