Whole Leaf Tobacco

Disease at the end of the leaf

Petzi

Hello everyone,
This year, I planted two varieties of tobacco. Ohio Dutch and Virginia Gold. Ohio Dutch tobacco is the first to reach maturity, but shows signs of leaf disease.

20190729_181835.jpg20190804_130019.jpg20190804_130030.jpg
Can someone identify the disease?

Perhaps, I planted my tobacco plant too close together and all my plants have more or less the end of the sick leaves.
I would like improved this situation for next year.

Thank you for your comments and solutions!

Petzi

Charly

Hello Petzi, I don't think your leaves are suffering from a disease, I think they are ripe (see the aligator skin and the yellowing of the lamina). Some of my leaves show the same browning in the field. Some are browning without yellowing too.
It often happens when the leaves are thick (not sick ;) ).

The strange thing is that is seem to appear only on some of your higher leaves wheareas the leaves under are not showing yellowing.

Petzi

Salut Charly,

Actually the deformation of the leaf is only on the top of the plant. The leaves of the bottom, are perfect and air-cure perfect.

A monthe ago, I found those weird spots. So I made an attempt by picking these first leaves, and they still have not gone yellow, they weren't mature, I think ...

Petzi

thank you for your feedback. @GreenDragon may have the solution. The beans, I planted nearby, were sick and gave nothing. Would it contaminate tobacco plants?

This raises a new question. If I do there crop rotation. Must I pay attention to the plants that were previous planting in the soil. To summarize, the tobacco plant does not like to be in contact with some other plants? :rolleyes:

GreenDragon

thank you for your feedback. @GreenDragon may have the solution. The beans, I planted nearby, were sick and gave nothing. Would it contaminate tobacco plants?

This raises a new question. If I do there crop rotation. Must I pay attention to the plants that were previous planting in the soil. To summarize, the tobacco plant does not like to be in contact with some other plants? :rolleyes:
Because the damage appears on the newer, top leaves of both plants, it suggests to me either a nutrient deficiency, or a chemical issue such as exposure to an herbicide or fertilizer such as a "Weed and Feed" type product applied to the grass or garden.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is a wonderful link, Petzi. The site is available in French, English, Italian and Spanish, and includes diagnostic keys and photos.

Bob

EDIT: I've added the Ephytia link to the Index of Key Forum Threads.

Last edited:

Charly

This site was already noted in some posts here, but it's a good thing to add it to the key forum thread (y)
(I used it a lot to see the symptoms of different diseases)

They have also an application for mobile device "Di@gnoPlant" (in English an French) :
for android : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inra.TabacEnDiagno
for iOS : https://apps.apple.com/fr/app/diagnoplanttobacco/id642344589

They made other apps to identify disease on other types of plants (tomatoes, cumcumbers...)

Petzi

Thank's Charly for these details. I had not seen that there was an application. I downloaded it.