Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Does your leaf dress left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmost

Have you ever had a tailor ask you whether you dress left or right?

Seems to me that if I lay my leaf down pointing toward me vein up, the stem curves left. Gives me a wider right half leaf and a narrower left leaf half. I find, for instance, that I have to slap more into a left hand bunch when binding with an entire leaf half than using a cut strip of binder because both binder and wrapper will contribute a bit less leaf. So... question is:

Does your leaf dress left?

Have we any growers here from below the equator? Does the leaf dress right down under?
Does it dress left when the sun is one side of the stalk and right when the sun is on the other?
Do different varieties dress more or less right or left?

Odd stuff to worry about, I know; but it just puzzles me.
Asked this on another forum once, but got no answer.

H2K_20200402.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent! That is data that I am lacking. South oriented stems seem to yield a more symmetrical leaf. East oriented stems abbreviate their southern lamina. And it's the opposite for the west oriented stems.

So I would imagine that in the southern hemisphere, the north oriented stems would be symmetrical, with the northern sides of east-west oriented stems being abbreviated.

A world-wide mystery solved in a mere four posts (3½ hours).

Bob

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
South is easy. You put a vertical stick into the ground, and mark the tip of its shadow every couple of hours as the day passes. The markers create an east-west line. In the northern hemisphere, the shadow is always to the north of the stick. So a line perpendicular to the line of markers points north-south.

HowToRead15_4271_4275_stickInTheDirt_700px_72dpi.jpg

Bob

MarcL

Odd? Maybe not so much any more? I do remember you learning me on tailors bert. I do remember that thread going somewhere though.. Not gonna fall for it this time. This talk about tailor dress and have to slap more into a left hand sounds like a kind of joke that ends in a k and starts with a d and has a c and i in it. I have thought about this leaf stuff though a bit. I do wonder.

plantdude

Odd? Maybe not so much any more? I do remember you learning me on tailors bert. I do remember that thread going somewhere though.. Not gonna fall for it this time. This talk about tailor dress and have to slap more into a left hand sounds like a kind of joke that ends in a k and starts with a d and has a c and i in it. I have thought about this leaf stuff though a bit. I do wonder.
Come on now @MarcL does @webmost strike you as the type of individual that would make an inappropriate joke...:whistle:

That is interesting about the leaf growth though. I never thought about it before.

plantdude

Does any member of this forum go to a tailor for his clothes? Anybody? Anybody?

Bob
Last time I went to a tailor they told me they couldn't let the waist band out any further on my suit. Never going back to another one again, they are too abusive;) From now on weddings and funerals will be attended in cargo pants with a button up shirt and if it's someone I actually care about I might even skip the camo.

tullius

Does any member of this forum go to a tailor for his clothes?

feel like this is walking into a well planned punch line here, but yes, back when I was wearing a suit and tie every day for work, had a tailor here stateside and one in italy that were trusted. One asked the question of importance, I didn't understand what he was asking, and he had to explain. The other just adroitly made suprisingly polite measurements with the tape and had the answer.

I will say there is a big difference between here and europe as far as quality of materials, clothes and tailoring ability, with the much junior country having a lot of catch up to do.

Generally for the last decade or two, if it doesn't have or go with cargo pockets it never gets worn much anymore.

GreenDragon

Last time I went to a tailor they told me they couldn't let the waist band out any further on my suit. Never going back to another one again, they are too abusive;) From now on weddings and funerals will be attended in cargo pants with a button up shirt and if it's someone I actually care about I might even skip the camo.
I solved this conundrum years ago - I quit going to both. Weddings are a huge waste of money and the bride and groom don't really care if you're there or not, and the guest of honor at a funeral will never know if you went!

Status
Not open for further replies.