Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Double Stem Mutation

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistillingJim

One of my Amersfoot plants has been looking a little odd. It was hit by slugs quite badly when I first transplanted so thought it may just need some time to settle, but on inspection today I noticed that it now has two separate stalks growing out. This begs the question, do I kill one so the other may thrive, or do I let them go, allowing them to coexist in harmony, running the risk that neither will truly flourish but with the possibility of doubling my output?

Right now I'm tending towards determining and removing the weaker stalk but thought I'd get some input from more experienced hands on here first.

http://i.imgur.com/KOooLG4.jpg

Charly

I may not be much experienced than you, but I had the same kind of double stems.

The twin stem is not a mutation, it's just the growth of the plant when it's cut :)
I had the same kind of plants last year, and one this year : when the slug cut the main stem, the plant produces 2 new leaves where it was cut (like a sucker), and the new stems grow at these spots.
Nothing to worry about :)

If you want this plant to make big leaves, you should cut one of the twin stems, or the plant will make twice the number of leaves... but twice smaller leaves ! :)

Edit : ARF !!! Bob was faster than I !! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.